No announcement yet.

Kichigai GS1100ESD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're speedo is gonna be way off with the stock unit, I went from a 16 to a 17 and it is way off.
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
      You're speedo is gonna be way off with the stock unit, I went from a 16 to a 17 and it is way off.
      Very interesting! I never new that! Is there a fix for this? Do most people that does this conversion just use their stock gauges and just factors in the difference?

Comment

What you could do is get the gauges from a '90 to '92 gsxr or somthing simular that bolts to the underside of the upper clamp like you're stock set-up. Mine is like yours, I modified the stock mount to bolt under the top clamp which will work if you know what the difference between your actual speed and what is indictated on the speedo is. I'm putting some guages from the type of bike (gsx 600 katana) my front end/wheels are from and mounting them into the fairing. You're bike is looking great BTW!
        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Or you can have the stock speedo re-calibrated.

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            Sorry guys, but that was a CARRIAGE bolt, NOT a lag bolt. Either way, get the right part. Ray.
            Ok, I went the the store and got me a few low profile grade 8 metric hex bolts to replace the carrage bolts previously used on my lower fork trees. I also had to use my persuasion tool (pry bar) to pry the fairing frame to clear the top bolts but I now have about 1/4 in of clearance on both sides. Problem solved! Take a look!

I also got my SV650 risers finally mounted on my top trippled tree plate. I found a good place to drill the holes where were there was enough support. This spot also allowed the bars to be mounted such to allow access to the top fork adjustment screws.

Next is to fabricate a new backet to re-attached the stock gauges back on. Note: if you look at the bottom side of the top tripple tree, you will see that there are plenty of pre-existing threaded hole to utilize.

Dink and Kingofvenus, thanks for the tip on the guages. I like the idea of re-calibrating them. I actually have to open it up soon to replace the gear selector display which I found a brand new replacement on ebay. I may need some tech advice once I get to there.
            Last edited by Guest; 01-21-2008, 01:44 PM.

Comment

How about mounting the gauges to the fairing bracketry? That's probably easier than finding someone to recalibrate the old ones. There's probably a bunch of GSXR, Bandit, and Katana gauges that would work as long as the donor used the front wheel to run the speedo with a 17" wheel. Running a lead from one of the coils would get the electronic tach up and running.

Comment

You don't have to worry about the speedo. Just get a cable from a bandit (should be long enough) and plug her in.

ALLLLLL will be good.
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

I finally got my gauges mounted on the top triple tree. I had to fabricate a aluminum bracket but it wasnt too hard.

Here is a picture with my stock bars mounted!

Not bad for a couple hours of work on the weekend. Now to get them mounted on my bike! It sure is getting cold in my garage at night! At least I was making some progress and having fun. \\/

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
                    You don't have to worry about the speedo. Just get a cable from a bandit (should be long enough) and plug her in.

ALLLLLL will be good.
                    Katman, what year/size bandit should I get it for??

Comment

all the gsxrs will work too but it is an issue of length. I say bandit cuz they have raised bars and higher clocks than gixxers.

any bandit 1200 97-00 should do the trick.
                      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Thanks, This is helpful!

Comment

Nice job on the clocks. I am working on an 84 750 right now and he is needing to do the same thing for his inverted frontend.

I am also upgrading his swingarm to a 95 gsxr 750.

keep up the good work.
                          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Last week I got a change finally get back to working on my GS project. I tried installing the upper tree back on the forks and noticed that I had a few clearance issues. The ignition lock was hitting the fairing bracket! I have attached a few more pictures to explain what needed to be done.

First the fairing bracket mounting holes needed to be longated to move it closer to the steering neck.

Next I had to cut a notch in the fairing bracket for the steering lock.

Here you can see where the steering lock latch will need to line up with the new notch. The horizontal fairing bar also got in the way so I had to bring the ignition lock higher up the tripple tree.

Comment

To bring the ignition higher up the upper tree, I had to do some cutting!

I had to remove about 7/16 off of the two mounting post for the switch.

Comment

I took the removed pieces, drilled the holes out and made two alluminum spacers out of them for the gauge mounting brackets.

Then I put it all back together again!

Comment

Working...
                                X