Best 4-1 Exhaust ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best 4-1 Exhaust ?

I am thinking of replacing my exhaust system (4-1) for my 82 Gs1100E and was wondering which system gives the best performance and sound for the price.
    I can only find a few systems out there. OK guys whats your opinion.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-17-2008, 12:33 PM.

Vance and Hines is the defacto standard these days. Nicer quality than Mac at a similar price. Are there any other brands even available anymore?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Vance & Hines & Mac are all I've been able to find. Supertrapp/Kerker doesn't have them anymore. Here's a link, not a bad price.

Comment

Star, Murray, V&H, Jardine, MAC, Bassanni, asian outlaw custom spider pipe

many to choose from...small diameter pipe large diameter pipe... Why do you think there are none available??

the bike shops in your area must really SUCK.. so sorry
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by zuzu View Post
          I was wondering which system gives the best performance and sound
          Sound is a big factor for me. I dont want to be grouped into that Loud Motorcycle gang.

My neighbor has a chopper with shotgun pipes and he can wake the dead with that noise. Well maybe not the dead but for sure a napping grandaughter. Ask my wife. "If that F'er wakes her up with that GD MC Im gonna be pi**ed !!"

I see you have some nice performance upgrades on your bike so a little louder pipe probably does not concern you. Do you still have the orig pipes ?
          Last edited by bonanzadave; 01-17-2008, 02:20 PM.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
            Star, Murray, V&H, Jardine, MAC, Bassanni, asian outlaw custom spider pipe

many to choose from...small diameter pipe large diameter pipe... Why do you think there are none available??

the bike shops in your area must really SUCK.. so sorry
            Yes the bike shops in my area most certainly do suck, but I can't find any of those either??

Bassani & Jardine I've seen used on ebay but they don't list them in their catalogs (only harley). I called Jardine and they do not make their exhaust for the GS any more. I have not called Bassani.

Advantage racing in Japan makes a stainless pipe of which there were a couple on ebay, but they're only for the 16v bikes.
            Last edited by Guest; 01-17-2008, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Back in 1982 Cycle Guide Magazine published an article were they dyno tested all of the early 1980's 4 into 1 pipes on your GS1100E. The Cycle Guide testers evaluated pipes from Kerker, Jardine, V&H, Bassani, Supertrapp, Yoshimura, MAC, RC etc to name a few. The article also looked at centerstand & oil filter retention.

The dyno tests were performed on a stock 1982 GS1100E and were strictly limited to replacing the stock exhaust system with the aftermarket 4 into 1 (No Jetting changes using stock airbox). There was only one manufacturer which made more HP than the stock Suzuki GS1100E and that was the Supertrapp 4 into 1, which I believe from your pictures you already have installed. This is not to infer that hanging the Bassani, Kerker KR or Yosh pipe on your bike and uncorking the baffle will yield different HP readings. Doing so will of course make it much louder which is either a positive or negative based on you personal preference.

I cannot find the article on line but perhaps if you contact Paul Dean @ Cycle World (He has a strong afinity for the GS1100E, See Cycle World Feb 2008 he can dig up the article since he was working for Cycle Guide back at the time.
              Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by zuzu View Post
                I am thinking of replacing my exhaust system (4-1) for my 82 Gs1100E and was wondering which system gives the best performance and sound for the price.
                I can only find a few systems out there. OK guys whats your opinion.
                What's wrong with that nice looking Supertrapp that's on it now?

I bought a chrome and a black Jardine for my 1000's. I haven't installed either yet, but some say the Jardine out-performs the V&H. I think the Jardines are all gone, so your only choice that I know of is V&H. They sound good, but I think the quality has gone down some over the years. Mine was difficult to install and the chrome I think is pretty thin. My bike is tuned perfect, and the pipes still want to turn gold and blue. I plan on ceramic coating the insides of the Jardine pipes before I install them.

Here's some noise from the V&H:

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

In my opinion the best pipe you can put on any Jap 4 is a Marving 4-1. Looks minimalist and 'aggressive' and the sound is to die for. Captures that turn of the 70s / 80s spirit spot on. I've got one on my CB1100F and will finish off my GS1000 rebuild with one. Marvings are made in Italy; we can get them in the UK from exactrep.com. Not the cheapest and could be very costly in the US with the weak $ at the moment.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                    In my opinion the best pipe you can put on any Jap 4 is a Marving 4-1. Looks minimalist and 'aggressive' and the sound is to die for. Captures that turn of the 70s / 80s spirit spot on. I've got one on my CB1100F and will finish off my GS1000 rebuild with one. Marvings are made in Italy; we can get them in the UK from exactrep.com. Not the cheapest and could be very costly in the US with the weak $ at the moment.
                    Got a pic? I've never heard of a Marving. How much are they?
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Too much

Looks like Motad do one too... http://www.bandcexpress.co.uk/cgi-bi...TAD&nav=Suzuki
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Isn't Motad the UK equivalent of MAC?

Comment

The reason I was thinking of replacing the SuperTrap exhaust was because the Chrome Plating was scratched and discolored along with some scraps from dragging in the corners.
                          After reading your replies at lunch I called the only local Electro-Plating company. The man that owns the place is a fan of the older bikes and told me he could take out most all the scraps, scratches and re-plate the back half of the exhaust for under $100.00. The headers are fine, after I removed the bluing last summer they have taken on a nice golden look near the exhaust ports.
                          This is just what the system needs. I want to thank everyone for there input.
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-18-2008, 09:51 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=srsupertrap;751612]Back in 1982 Cycle Guide Magazine published an article were they dyno tested all of the early 1980's 4 into 1 pipes on your GS1100E. The Cycle Guide testers evaluated pipes from Kerker, Jardine, V&H, Bassani, Supertrapp, Yoshimura, MAC, RC etc to name a few. The article also looked at centerstand & oil filter retention.

The dyno tests were performed on a stock 1982 GS1100E and were strictly limited to replacing the stock exhaust system with the aftermarket 4 into 1 (No Jetting changes using stock airbox). There was only one manufacturer which made more HP than the stock Suzuki GS1100E and that was the Supertrapp 4 into 1,....QUOTE]

What was the value of this "test"? Pretty obviously, the stock bike would perform poorly with a free-flowing aftermarket exhaust system, without the appropriate jetting changes. The real test, IMHO, would have been to compare all of the systems performing at the optimum A/F ratio. The Supertrapp performed the best under the magazine's conditions, perhaps due to the extra flexibility it allowed with tuning the level of restriction in the canister. Lest we forget, the stock system also weighs a good 30 lbs more than the typical 4x1, so even if hp were equal, the modded bike would still have the advantage, so to speak.

Tony.
                            '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq
                              What was the value of this "test"? Pretty obviously, the stock bike would perform poorly with a free-flowing aftermarket exhaust system, without the appropriate jetting changes.
                              The real test, IMHO, would have been to compare all of the systems performing at the optimum A/F ratio.
                              The Supertrapp performed the best under the magazine's conditions, perhaps due to the extra flexibility it allowed with tuning the level of restriction in the canister.
                              Lest we forget, the stock system also weighs a good 30 lbs more than the typical 4x1, so even if hp were equal, the modded bike would still have the advantage, so to speak.

Tony.
                              Excellent points and my thoughts exactly!!
                              WOW, I never knew the 4 into 1's were 30 pounds lighter!!
                              That means my Katana will have dropped from 232kg to approx 217kg!! Thats lighter than most early nineties 1100's

Comment

Working...
                              X