GS1100G cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100G cooling

This is an easy modification that really extends oil lif and keeps the oil cooler. I got a lockhart oil cooler and the radiator was really bad, so I got a 13 row oil cooler for an MG, oil hoses from the B Hive, and made some hardware to hang from the frame under the seat and turn signal tab. It adds about a quart of capacity, and more cooling than you might think next to that spinning wheel. This could be removed in a half hour, but I think those lockhart oil coolers that sit in front of the GS valve cover heat up the air that should be cooling the head!

Follow the link (not sure how to embed the image here)

Originally posted by endlessGSgeek View Post
    This is an easy modification that really extends oil lif and keeps the oil cooler. I got a lockhart oil cooler and the radiator was really bad, so I got a 13 row oil cooler for an MG, oil hoses from the B Hive, and made some hardware to hang from the frame under the seat and turn signal tab. It adds about a quart of capacity, and more cooling than you might think next to that spinning wheel. This could be removed in a half hour, but I think those lockhart oil coolers that sit in front of the GS valve cover heat up the air that should be cooling the head!

Follow the link (not sure how to embed the image here)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2132/...9911873f_b.jpg
    Good idea. Some will say that they don't like the look. Another drawback is that a pillion's leg would block some air flow, with the chance of a burn even. The airflow disruption would be minimal though.
    You are right about the added heat flowing over the head when they are installed up front.
    I have wanted to run my 850 on a fun track day. Your idea would be ideal for that purpose, then I would disconnect/remove it for normal road use. I would leave most of the plumbing sealed off and in place.
    I have a cooler off a 600 that I could use. It is smaller and black, so it wouldn't be so intrusive. If you were unfortunate enough to drop the bike, you may damage the cooler.
    Last edited by 49er; 01-25-2008, 04:03 PM. Reason: Added last sentence
    :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

It is true, the look is kind of rough. I could make a cowling and put a fan behind it, or maybe a scoop aiming forwards to increase flow and block the visual assault. It actually is tucked under there in unused space, and you really can't accidently touch it. It wouldn't touch the ground in a fall unless the frame was twisted badly, and then it wouldn't be the major damage! I really haven't been able to figure out how much air is drawn into the wheel well through that cooler, but the shock just in front of it might even help by focusing air to flow right over it.

I touch it on purpose to monitor the oil temp while I'm riding periodically, and it is never too hot to touch, though sometimes you can't hold your fingertips on it for more than a couple of seconds. It really stays cool... it is a thirteen row cooler, which is nearly twice what the lockhart has vertically stacked, and it's more than 2 inches deep, which is probably three times the depth of the lockhart radiator. Once I figured out how to make a loop over the frame for the front mount, and a simple L shaped tab for the rear mount, it was remarkably easy to install. There just wasn't any other place to put it!

There are quick disconnects available for hydraulic applications that would make oil changes (yes, I disconnect and drain it !) and optional installation for hot days much easier. I think I'll look into that.

Comment

Working...
      X