Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KZ tappets

NO really this is for a GS1000,

As I have been slowly collecting parts for my 1000 yosh build I have heard a few times that KZ650 tappets can be used for GS1000 tappets and prefered because of the under the bucket shim style.

Did a little research on bike bandit and the 78-81 KZ650 shares the same tappets as the 80-83 KZ550 and the 80-82 KZ750. So my question is this, anyone here have a above mentioned KZ tappet for me to buy/try? I have a extra gs1000 motor that is a apart and not big deal for me to try a kz tappet in.

Has anyone elese heard of the KZ tappets in a GS?
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

yes KZ 650 and gpz 750 all have the shim under bucket style that are an exact match for a Gs 1000. they are a bit soft for heavy valve springs and hi lift cams. the flat top surface will dish a little after extended heavy duty use. But for street they will work perfectly. it's a bitch adjusting valve lash unless you are comfortable removing and reinstalling the cams in time.

you can rev the engine higher and not spit a shim
    you can run .425" and higher lift cams

9500 RPM and .395 is the limits for safe shim over bucket operation (stock)

Kibblewide makes a better product; bucket,SSvalves,.550" lift springs,titanium retainers, but the price is much more than the KZ stuff.
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

cool thanks for the tips, I belive this is the site you are talking about http://www.blackdiamondvalves.com/ and the company is kibblewhite, I'll check that out. Thanks for the heads up on the softer metel but yeah most of the time the bike will be used on the street, maybe a track day here and there. I'll be running 750 oil gears and not going to crazy with the cam lift. I was just worried about spiting a shim like you say. So depending on the Kibblewide price I might just stick to oem kaw stuff until I wearout a tappet.

BTW, got any tappets laying around that i can mes with?

*edit here is another place that might have some promis as well http://www.dynoman.net/index.html
      Last edited by first timer; 02-03-2008, 01:24 PM.
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x

Comment

K&L handles them.

$350.00 buckets and titanium retainers set of 8 13mm shims extra

KZ 650 head off of ebay maybe 70.00 shipped your choice

finding the right thickness shims is a chore the first time thru.

Comment

The Kawasaki (900,1000,1100) tappets are 1/2 mm smaller than the Susuki GS1000
          Speed Merchant
          http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
            The Kawasaki (900,1000,1100) tappets are 1/2 mm smaller than the Susuki GS1000
            I think what he is trying to do is convert from the large-shim-over-bucket to the smaller-shim-under-bucket.

Not sure what First Timer is trying to accomplish with this mod, but you have to ask yourself if the effort is going to be worth the extra work it's going to take to adjust the valves. The only reason I can see for going to the shims under the bucket is if you are going to spin the engine faster, especially if it has higher-lift cams. For most street use, it might be a really trick mod, but who will ever notice?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Is there a price, size(thickness), or availability advantage?

Comment

I understand he is trying to go from shim on top to shim on bottom to prevent shim loss. I was pointing out that the Kaw buckets are smaller.

I have shim on bottom GS1000 buckets in stock.

Jay
                Speed Merchant

Comment

So, instead of losing material on the shim, you lose material on the (more expensive) bucket? How does this help? I get that it may help to increase redline RPM. I erally don't see much benefit beyond that. Shims are pretty cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
                    So, instead of losing material on the shim, you lose material on the (more expensive) bucket? How does this help? I get that it may help to increase redline RPM. I erally don't see much benefit beyond that. Shims are pretty cheap.

We are talking about the valve adjustment shims that sit on top of the tappet ( bucket ) that the cam rides on. When you increase lift by going with a "high lift" cam, the nose of the cam contacts the shim farther from center than a stock cam does. This can cause the shim to be pushed down into the radial groove in the top of the tappet. The other side then lifts up. This can result in the cam lobe slinging the shim our right thu the front of the head.

This is prevented by using the "shim under" arrangement. The shim is not located under the bucket and there is no chance of the cam lobe slinging it out.

It is not about wear. If you are wearing your shims or tappets, you have other issues.

Jay
                    Speed Merchant

Comment

yes Big Jay i am looking to go high lift cams and higher revs when i rebuild my motor. So are just the 900, 1000, and 1100 kawasaki tappets 1/2mm smaller in dia? or are you includeing the 550, 650 and 750 tappets as well in this list?

pulling cams is no big deal to adjust valve clearances. BTW anyone know what is the adjustment intervals for the above mentioned kaws?
                      Last edited by first timer; 02-08-2008, 12:37 AM.
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x

Comment

The 650 are small also. They are the same size as 900/1000.
                        Speed Merchant

Comment

Not to get to far off the subject with KZ's/ GS1000... Let's consider that George Babor (BPM) has been over 200mph on KZ Shim Over Bucket. So if you're riding this bike on the street you shouldn't have issues with Shim Over.

Comment

That would have to be a turbo motor with small lift cams.

Jay
                            Speed Merchant

Comment

I have kz 750 buckets in my gs engine big jay 1/2 inch smaller where?

29mm shim kz versus 29.5 mm shim suzuki diameter... the kawasaki adjusting shim is smaller but the bucket diameter is exactly the same

AND the shim under bucket diameter and height is identical. a 13mm adjusting shim diameter is required for shim under buckets.

same retainers , same springs, same valve stem diameter and length there is a difference in the valve keepers (kawa. square - suzu- rounded) just match the keepers with the matching poppet valve

I also have kawasaki pistons 76mm 18mm pin in there too late model gpz had 18mm pin

be careful listening to "experts" on the internet

buy measuring tools and answer your own questions
                              Last edited by trippivot; 02-19-2008, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X