Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morris Mag Questions

Hello,
    I purchased this "NOS Morris Mag" rear wheel for my GS1000 on Ebay back in 2006 for a reasonable price, I was told it was a 18" & 2.75" wide. When I inspected it I cannot find any manufacturer's P/N or mold marks etc. The seller stated he believed one of the the current aftermarket wheel manufacturer's purchased the Morris tooling and was producing wheels but he wasn't sure and I have not seen any for sale except the occassional straggler on Fleabay.

So, if anyone is well versed on the subject of Morris Mags or knows the story I would love to hear from them. I am still looking for that matching 19" front wheel to complete the set. Perhaps they are made in China?

Thanks,
    Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

?

Simply test is to lift it up. Morris mags where made from magnesium. ( im sure anyway) and will be very light. Either that or throw it in a fire and watch how it burns. if its magnesium stand back and watch the "glow: lol. Same a s VW gearboxes, great fun at the beach at nite. Plus when they corride its a white powder that forms.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-06-2008, 06:35 PM.

Comment

That looks exactly the same the lester mags i had on my 550 20 years ago maybe you would find a match looking for those as well :-D

Comment

Google Morris Magic Magic

No expert, just a goggle gun slinger

There are a set of Harley wheels on ebay at the moment; bid is low and the front is 19"; Maybe you can adapt. I bet the wheels are the same just have different hubs installed depending on the bike they came off of.

Also see this link for what can be done to modify the wheels.

Rebel Gears Inc. makes the highest quality American made custom motorcycle sprockets for all makes, most models. We have a wide selection of front sprockets available. We stock EK, and RK chains. Our sprockets are made from 7075-T6 Aluminum purchased from smelters right here in the U.S.A. Dont be fooled by other companies selling American made sprockets produced with Imported Aluminum. Dealers can order directly from the manufacturer with excellent profit margins! We custom make rear sprockets without custom pricing.

Posplayr

Comment

Do you want to match the material or just the look?

Kawasaki wheels from the same era as our GSs look just like that.

You will have to paint it, but here is one that is 19 x 1.85.

Seems that only their LTD series (similar to our L bikes) had the 19" front wheels. There are a bunch of 18 x 2.15" wheels available. I just did a search on eBay for kawasaki kz wheel. There are several axles and wire wheels, too, but you will see several front and rear wheels.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

morris wheels

Not all the morris wheels are magnesium. They were also produced in aluminum.

Comment

At least you put a napkin down before putting it on the kitchen table!
              NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

I don't think those are mag, unless those silver bits are paint. Magnesium corrodes, it needs to be painted.

Comment

It looks just like the wheels on my 81 GPZ550, only wider.
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Kawasaki had a deal with Morris and used their wheels on many models. I would love a set, but would Kawasaki wheels fit a GS?
                    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Yep, Morris made both magnesium & aluminum alloy versions of their wheels. I believe this particular one is the aluminum version because it's not super light. The flakey stuff is the clear coat peeling off the brushed aluminum. Another Ebay seller said they also produced standard wheels with open hubs so they could be adapated to different makes & models. I have seen both the modular hub & fixed hub versions on Fleabay. The fact that they are no marks just strikes me as being very very odd.

In my opinion the performance advantage of the Morris wheels are they wider than the Zuki Enkei (2.75 vs. 2.15) and in the front (2.15 vs. 1.85). So looking at the rear wheel given the same 130 wide rear tire the resulting tire profile radius is larger making the cross sectional view flatter. Don't know how that will translate into real world handling and at this rate I may never know.

If I ever find that matching 19" Front I plan to paint all the back portion with VHT gold epoxy. I personally like the look of those old gold wheels.

Reagarding the Kawi wheels, how would you mount the brake discs? Different pattern right.
                      Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                        If I ever find that matching 19" Front I plan to paint all the back portion with VHT gold epoxy. I personally like the look of those old gold wheels.

Reagarding the Kawi wheels, how would you mount the brake discs? Different pattern right.
                        Did you happen to notice post #5 where I gave you a link to a Kaw wheel that was GOLD? :shock:

How to mount the brake disk? Might be easier to use Kaw disks and make offset adapters for the calipers if necessary.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

the wheels i have on my bike are lester wheels a 16" rear 3" wide and a 19" front 2.15 i think.

here is a fitmaent guide that came with my rear lester that explains how to pick a proper tire acording to rim width.
                          www.grimp.net/ryan/tire_to_wheel_fitment_and_tire_change_guide.zip

i think the morris wheels you got are plain jane kawasaki or yamaha wheels of the same era.

this is what a proper magnesium morris mag looks like
                          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                          82 Kat 1000 Project
                          05 CRF450x
                          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
                          X