Progressive spring guys - lots of sag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post

Bwringer: do you believe those no-air fork caps would fit my GS1100GL? Are they stock Suzi parts off of another model?

I had to use a 1" socket to fit on the air set up in order to get the top caps in the forks.

The fork caps in the photos are the stock ones for my 1983 GS850G. (The '83 850G has air fittings and an air crossover on the lower triple.) I do believe the same caps would fit your 1100GL or any other GS with 37mm forks.

I've done a couple of forks with the stupid air fitting caps and I think this would be a very worthwhile upgrade.

Unfortunately, the sweet little preload adjusters as used on the 1100E won't work -- different fork diameters, dangit.

Also, to go along with what others have posted here, if I had it to do over again, I would probably try to find straight-rate springs in a higher rate. I'm not into coil bind on the Progressives, but I really wonder how close it is.

On the back, the "heavy-duty" 90/140 spring recommended by Progressive was still far too soft. It took a bit of digging to find, but I installed a set of the heaviest springs that will fit the 12 series shocks, 120/170 (specified for a Kawasaki Voyager), with excellent results.

The only downside is that after several years, the cast aluminum adjusting collars have started to crumble where they slide against the locating tab on the shock from the added strain -- I can't adjust these too many more times or they'll fall apart altogether. Progressive will sell me new collars, but I need to disassemble one of the shocks to get the exact part numbers so they get me the right ones.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
    X