No announcement yet.

Performance bias tires for '80 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both the 850 and the 1100. The 850 is maxed as far as tire width goes because of the driveshaft tube but the 1100 I'm going to try a different rim and go a bit more. I think the 140 was only a half inch wider than stock.

Comment

just keep in mind the wider the tire you go the slower the turn in. stock tires are about 120, i wouldn't go bigger then 130 or it justs gets to be to much work to get the bike to lean over quickly. 140 seems to big and youe would be pinching the tire and changing the manufactures designed shape which isn't a good thing. The manufacturer designs their tires for maximum contact patch for specfic rims.
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
        just keep in mind the wider the tire you go the slower the turn in. stock tires are about 120, i wouldn't go bigger then 130 or it justs gets to be to much work to get the bike to lean over quickly. 140 seems to big and youe would be pinching the tire and changing the manufactures designed shape which isn't a good thing. The manufacturer designs their tires for maximum contact patch for specfic rims.
        Does the 80 vs. 90 aspect ratios make much of a difference on either front or rear?

Comment

Originally posted by KGB View Post

Someone on here will post a chart with conversion sizes telling us we're all going to die unless we use the correct size*

Or that you will also die from running tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
            Or that you will also die from running tubes.

NO tubes with my Dunlops.
            Too much unsprung weight.

Maybe with a spoked wheel, not my mags.
            Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I tired the Dunlops and wasn't a big fan. I switched to Demons and I love them - this is on my CB900F though, which I imagine has similar handling characteristics to the GS's.

Comment

While it's clearly a different bike, the 250prod guys who run stock wheels tend to go with the GT501s. They say they're very similar to the sport demons, and that the largest part of why they use them is dunlop has good support at the track.

Comment

I have these on my 1980 750e and a friend has his on his 1980 CB750f. We both love them. I did a track day with them and they handle great. The turn in characteristics are fabulous and they stick like glue. I also have about 3500 street miles and they still have some life in them. I am using the 100/90 front and the 120/90 rear. I highly suggest you check out these tires.

Our Goal: Healthy Mobility - clean, safe and connected. Our heart beats for this. Learn more about it on our homepage.

Comment

Originally posted by doug g View Post
                    I have these on my 1980 750e and a friend has his on his 1980 CB750f. We both love them. I did a track day with them and they handle great. The turn in characteristics are fabulous and they stick like glue. I also have about 3500 street miles and they still have some life in them. I am using the 100/90 front and the 120/90 rear. I highly suggest you check out these tires.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...v11_12_en.html

Hmmmm... "...stick like glue", I like it. What tire pressures are you running at the track? By the way, you have a pic of your '80 750E? That's the year I have.

Comment

I was running 32 front and 34 rear. these tires are the best that I have tried yet. Way better in my opinoin than Metzlers or Pirellis. I will have to take a pic of my bike and post it up. I am currently in the process of installing a 1983 1100 swingarm. I love this bike.

Comment

Originally posted by jlvdo View Post
                        Does the 80 vs. 90 aspect ratios make much of a difference on either front or rear?
                        This is not a direct answer, but I think what you're getting at is, "can I use a wider tire if I lower the aspect ratio". Is that right?
                        I was running a 130/80/18 rear. (po installed, not my idea) I went to a 120/90/18, and it handles quite a bit better. In the corners, the 130/80 always felt like it was squared off even though it wasn't. It was "pinched".There was simply too much tire hanging off both sides of the narrow 2.15" rim.
                        You could go to a stock 17" rear rim. The were 2.50", but I like the way my bike handles with the little 18".
                        On our old bikes, I think there is more lost than gained by running wider tires.

Comment

Working...
                        X