Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bandit Chain Guard on GS1100

Originally Posted by kichigai
    Isleoman, Did you ever get an answer on the rubber chain guard? I pretty much did the same thing as you with the Bandit chain guard and yes my chain does not center up withthe raised center ridge but also think it still helps so it will stay.

I am interested in the chain guard mounting mod but the link that you attatched did not work. I would appreciate it if you could repost the link.

Kichigai and Liloaty asked me how I modded my Bandit Chain Guard so it would fit on a Bandit swing arm mounted on a GS1100.

First pic is with shock installed

This pic with shock removed showing cut out in chain guard

This pic shows chain guard off bike

Last Pic is close up of relocated rear tab.

The chain guard metal is flimsy and it would be hard to do these mods and keep the brushed aluminum finish. I did quite a bit of sanding to get it smooth again then painted glossy black.

If you compare your chain guard to my photos it should be obvious how the tab was relocated, normally it points down. I loosely mocked up the chain guard loacation with the front screw in place and traced outline of shock on it to get the cut out right.

As you can tell from the first picture in the first post the shock blocks the view of most of the cut out when its installed. Let me know if you have questions or come up with something better.

Comment

A little side note on the posting of this thread.

Wife sees me walking downstairs with camera and asks "Were you going to take pictures of my Valentines flowers, they're soooo pretty"

Me....... "Flower photos, why yes, yes I am, how did you guess, I wanted to capture them in full bloom."

Anybody want to see some tiger lillies?

Comment

I would love to find a total chain enclosure. I don't think they make them anymore.
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
          A little side note on the posting of this thread.

Wife sees me walking downstairs with camera and asks "Were you going to take pictures of my Valentines flowers, they're soooo pretty"

Me....... "Flower photos, why yes, yes I am, how did you guess, I wanted to capture them in full bloom."

Anybody want to see some tiger lillies?
          I would LOVE to see some tiger lillies.....HAHAH

In all seriousness, thanks a lot for the pics and description, I just bought the complete rear end off of a Bandit, we're talking EVERYTHING - for $250 \\/

Comment

Isleoman, thanks for posting this up! Talk about sweet! I got to get me one of those! Now I know how. Thanks for sharing. \\/

Liloaty, nice find on the bandit parts! Hope all goes well!

Comment

Guys/Gals,

Don't forget that my RF900 rear tire width is 170. I had posted awhile ago that it was 160 but was wrong. A 180 width will come a little closer to the chain guard. I think there is enough room to make it. Bandit chain guards are pretty cheap on ebay so no big deal.

I haven't had any chain lube fling up through the cut away part.

Dpep, Not sure what you mean by total chain enclosure. What bikes had them. I could see where it would help to keep crap off the chain but on the negative side you would be less likely to know your chain was getting dry.

Comment

Guys/Gals,
                Dpep, Not sure what you mean by total chain enclosure. What bikes had them. I could see where it would help to keep crap off the chain but on the negative side you would be less likely to know your chain was getting dry.
                Fully enclosed the chain doesn't get dry for a long time. And it does not get muddy or sandy or rained on. I had one on a Honda 750 25 years ago. There was usually a little door on them that gave you access to inspect and oil. They increased the life of the chain back then; with today's chain technology they should really stretch out the time between replacements.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                  I would love to find a total chain enclosure. I don't think they make them anymore.
                  Yet, even with all your bikes, you would only need to find one.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                    Yet, even with all your bikes, you would only need to find one.
                    Well, two if you count the Nighthawk.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                      Well, two if you count the Nighthawk.
                      Sorry Don, nobody here counts the Nighthawk...:shock::-D
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Ok so I found a chain gaurd for sale on ebay. You were right, they were inexpensive. I got mine for $0.01

Comment

Ebay is so unpredictable, I went back and checked and saw I paid $10 for one guard and $14 for the other. Ruined one getting it to fit. The stock bandit swingarm only cost $48. Bronze bushings were done as a favor and making and welding shock mounts was $200.

Its ironic how we have evolved from hunter gatherers to hunter gatherers.

Comment

that looks pretty sweet

Comment

Ebay is so unpredictable, I went back and checked and saw I paid $10 for one guard and $14 for the other. Ruined one getting it to fit. The stock bandit swingarm only cost $48. Bronze bushings were done as a favor and making and welding shock mounts was $200.

Its ironic how we have evolved from hunter gatherers to hunter gatherers.

I know I'm bumping an old thread here, but will the bandit swinger fit into my 1150. Also wondering about the shock mount. Could I be so lucky that it all fits in there.

I have a gxxer 5.5" wheel and it looks very tight in the stock swinger.

I've been searchin threads here for this info for days.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X