No announcement yet.

1983 GS1100ED Refurb turned Restore ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your a complete NUT CASE Posplayr. I LOVE it! You da MAN!

That's going to be one killer nice bike when you are done. Might have to bug you to stop by and see it one day.:-D
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Unreal!!! I'm so happy I don't have a house with a garage because before I knew it I'd be staring at boxes of parts too! Great job.

Josh

Comment

Nut Case

Your a complete NUT CASE Posplayr.
        Well given this is my planned painting activities for THIS weekend I may resembele that remark.8-[

I'll post my MS Project later, It is rather large...........

Posplayr

Comment

A little progress update

Bike is still coming apart. The motor top end was still in one peice and so I could not sleep at night. So here goes..... Head comes off what do I find..?
          Carbon or cooked rice????

Comment

More pics of the cooking Wok

Cylinders look a lot worse

Now for some Harbor Freight spot media blasting (walnut shells)

Looks pretty good but I still have to get the valves out and do under the valves.

Comment

OK Lets make some progress with the Clutch

First the new oil pump. Locktite that little screw. When the PO creamed the Tach gear some metal got into the old pump so, as to not loose any sleep at night I got a new pump

And new gears installed from Schnitz

A new rubber nubber

And a new clutch inner hub

Last edited by posplayr; 05-20-2008, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Painting Phase 2 Update

Ok I did not get as far as I wanted as getting the head and cylinder off and getting all the parts painted was a first priority so I could get the new parts on order.

I did get almost everything remaining that is supposed to be black. All clear coating, inner fender and tool box still remain along with all of the body parts

Wheels took a while; about 1 hour per wheel. If you use a Razer,. you can cut off the tape at the edge so you are not trying to line up the tape, but rather cut it to the edge. Hold the safety razor at an angle and just slice the tape. It makes a nice clean line.

Laugh if you like, but using the painting schedule really helped alot. You can waste a few gallons of paint thinner to just clean out your gun unless you plan it out and minimize how many different loads of paint you have to mix.

Posplayr
                Last edited by posplayr; 05-20-2008, 01:32 AM.

Comment

I'm impressed man, I can;t wait to see the finished project in person!

Comment

Good stuff!!!
                    So the pistons and valves are stock?
                    Are you going to get some new rings?
                    I never saw anyone paint rotors before. Won't this create havoc on the brake pads?
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yeah... funny... I was just thinking that.....

Comment

I asked this question a while back.

I decided to just paint the whole thing except the mounting flange, and have the machines clean the whole think up. 6 disks are out to this guy.

Pistion look stock and mic out to just under 72 mm. It is all that carbon increasing the compression unless the head was decked......

Ordered all from Bike bandit today including the rear tensioner from APE.

SUZUKI GS1100 / 1150 CAM CHAIN TENSIONER GUIDE
                        This is the guide in the back of the block that the tensioner pushes against. Racers know that the stock guide is always breaking or the rubber gets torn up by the chain. This new guide is made from space age composites with a very low drag co-efficent. Helps keep cams in time for more power.
                        TGS1100$59.95

GUIDE,CAM CHAIN
                        479951-001 | Suzuki 1983 GS1100ED CAM CHAIN (MODEL D)
                        1$25.48PendingGUIDE,CAM CHAIN
                        479978-001 | Suzuki 1983 GS1100ED CAM CHAIN (MODEL D)
                        1$20.06PendingGASKET
                        470115-001 | Suzuki 1983 GS1100ED CYLINDER HEAD COVER (MODEL D)
                        4$4.36PendingGASKET,BREATHER
                        476047-001 | Suzuki 1983 GS1100ED CYLINDER HEAD COVER (MODEL D)
                        1$3.74PendingGASKET CYLINDER
                        475751-001 | Suzuki 1983 GS1100ED CYLINDER - HEAD
                        1$70.32Pending
                        GASKET,CYLINDER
                        476400-001 | Suzuki 1983 GS1100ED CYLINDER
                        1$9.79On OrderCYLINDER O RING
                        472134-001 | Suzuki 1983 GS1100ED CYLINDER
                        4$11.16On OrderRING SET,PISTON
                        478522-001 | Suzuki 1983 GS1100ED CRANKSHAFT
                        4$100.40On OrderPISTON PIN CIRC
                        4054-001 | Suzuki 1983 GS1100ED CRANKSHAFT
                        8$6.08On Order

Comment

Whatcha gonna do with that old inner clutch hub ? That thing looks better than mine.....
                          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

When you're done practicing on your painting skills I'll bring mine over for a little touch up.
                            The whole damn thing! :-D
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

this is gonna look good when you are done, man!

Comment

Forks and Antidive

Ok I'm going to do some updates to this link. I am under the gun to get the bike ready for the July Yosemite trip, I'm not sure I will get the GS1100ED ready for the pre-ride, but it is still a possibility mainly depending upon how the paint job goes and how smooth the rest of the assembly is.

Anyway I am going to post a few additions organized as to the work. First the forks.

Here is a picture of most of the parts for the forks staged after cleaning, painting the bottom tubes and polishing the main fork tubes. New parts included in the picture are:

Progressive springs
                                Racetech Cartridge emulators
                                New OEM teflon parts (upper and lower)
                                New poil seal and dust covers
                                New O-rings
                                Fabricated Block off plates for the Antidive.
                                The damper rods have been drilled
                                Anti dive units have all of the parts removed

Here is a close up of the cleaned antidive parts with home made block off plates and gaskets. These parts keep teh fork oil in the fork and out of the anti dive units. I still need to block off the banjo brake lines.

I plann on blocking off the banjos that feed the anti dive units at teh caliper. That way the ant-dive units, and the lines to them remain dry but ertain teh stock look externally. I used a dremel tool, routed out the hole in teh banjo and filled it wit hJB weld, let it dry and then coated with some Por-15 Hardnose paint which is resistant to chemicals. With where this blocked teh brake pressure is trying to push a lump of JB weld through the line toward the Ant-dive unit.

Posplayr

Comment

Working...
                                X