No announcement yet.

1983 GS1100ED Refurb turned Restore ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't think I'd like the Orange.. But it looks really good. Excellent job! We need to talk.. I'm doing my 83 GS750ES restore this winter...

Comment

Originally posted by Craiger View Post
      What are the zip ties on the front forks for? Just curious.
      Probably for setting sag and seeing how much suspension is getting compressed.

The bike is every bit as good looking in person; it's really a looker. It was fun watching it move the last 5 days

Comment

Amazing job on the bike Jim. Do I understand right; you took that thing to Yosemite on the shakedown ride? Very impressive.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by J_C View Post
          Probably for setting sag and seeing how much suspension is getting compressed.
          That's what I was thinking, but wanted to be sure. Thanks!

Comment

More Pics of the break-in ride

Hey Guys, thanks for all of the positive comments. I was aiming for a wet stock look (Period Custom) and over did the pearl so the colors change between OEM red and orange depending on the light angle. The final clear coat went over the decals on July 4th and boy was that a relieve to have it turn out presentable.

The week before Ray had assembled the top end and degreed the new Webcams (105.5/107.75 close to the Webcam recommendations). I had bent over an oil ring and it put a groove in to the cylinder. We're hoping the rings will seat and the smoke stops.

Chef (Bill) drove over from Bakersfield and helped me to finish off the bike. I'm cleaning and painting and he dives into the carbs.
            After 1 adjustment, Bill had the 36mm CV's running great on the 136 mains. Stage 3 Dynojet kit. A few trick to sort out the clutch with aftermarket washers not shown on the microfiche and we were test ridding Monday nite at 9:00 pm. Bill knows his way around those carbs for sure.

Roll on is real smooth; around 6K RPM it starts to really pull hard. Suspension is much better than stock (Bill says the best handling GS he has ridden)

Next day break-in ride to my Mom's

Here is the bike with the group at Tahoe.

Worst thing on the way back was the oil cover gasket started to leak. When I was re-torquing the head, I broke the gasket and had to glue it back together(2:00 am and did not have a spare). It held for about 1250 miles but leaked pretty bad all the way from Stockton to SB.

Craiger,
            The zip-ties are to look for suspension travel. I don't think I ever bottomed it out but it also did not feel too stiff even though initial sag was minimal. I rode pretty hard in the twisties although it was still my first real introduction to the new suspension. The front shocks have the progressive springs, no spacer, preloads set at the lowest and the Racetech emulators. 15 wt oil. I'm at about 6'1" and 200 lbs; That combination with the Ohlins on the back and Pirelli's Sport demons is really nice. Cheff comes in at closer to 6'6" and 300 lbs an it worked real well for him.

Also I have one of those original racks that the PO gave me with the bike. No back rest but if I'm to get my wife on the back she really would like one. More on that later.

Posplayr
            Last edited by posplayr; 07-16-2008, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the information on the front suspension, posplayer. Might be good to know should I ever need to change mine. I'm right between you and Chef at 6'3" and 250lbs...so that might be pretty close to what I'd need.

The new pics better show the rack. That looks really nice for luggage. I'm thinking of designing a bracket for a backrest on mine since I can't find one I like that would work with my bike (form and function). Eventually, my wife will ride with me, too, so I want something back there for her. I've got some good friends in my Jeep club that can help me fabricate something.

Great pics! Makes me wish I could ride right now.

Comment

The headers...

I think the headers should be get a ceramic coating or something... Or somehow get them to closer match the color of the frame of your bike... Just my opinion...

Comment

Just saw this thread and great job. Really impressive.

Please let me know if you come up with a back rest idea - my girlfriend also would ride more if I had one.

Comment

Quickie Update

Here is a little video

Just about to leave on a GSresource trip to Julian CA April 2009. Bike just had fresh $1500 top end rebuild. 1168 (75mm) Weisco kit, 0.340 lift Web cams, and...

ED Update
                    Bill and I worked most of the weekend to get the GS1100ED back in one piece. This top end rebuild includes the following:

1.) low mileage head, with GS1150 28mm intake valves, radius cut valve job , back cut valves. with very nice street port from Terry headsbikesmopars. Flow on the head went form 78 to 97 cfm at 0.400" (If I remember right)

2.) 1168 Weisco Kit

3.) New 0.340 Web cams (Yes another set; the first set were sacrificed to the GS charging gods)

3.) Bumped up the mains from 138 to 145 (tentative)

4.) Combo Coil Modification combined with Dyna S.

Had alot of problems with the MLS (Multi Layer Steel) gasket which is a modern gasket. It has a 0.001" layer of rubber to provide a seal against liquids. Don't use Brake cleaner to clean it ; ask me how I know .

Bill volunteered to ride to APE in Willow spring Monday Morning and to buy a head gasket come back and replace it while I was working; O could not have him ride 5 hours and then put another 5 into getting the bike running.

Well after exploring different options including ordering $200 worth of 1150 gaskets, Bill and I were talking last night at about 10:40 pm. Turns out I already had the composite Cometic gasket eh was going to drive 5 hrs for already in the garage. It is a gasket the PO had bought to swap out and I had always assumed it was OEM size. Turns out it is the same size as used to be provided with the Weisco 1166 kit. It actually had a larger bore than the MLS.

Long story short, I Copper coated both sides of the head gasket put it in place and proceeded to re assemble. It as 1:00 am when I was done. I kicked it over for 3 sec , drake a couple of beers and went to bed.

Started it up this morning and NO LEAKS and NO SMOKE and SOUND GREAT.

Will do a little break in after lunch hour traffic subsides and I get some work work done. Will put about 100 miles on it today and re-torque tomorrow to be ready to leave Thurs morning .
                    Last edited by posplayr; 04-10-2009, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Great rebuild post. Except the few times I have stumbled upon it, I get sucked into reading the whole dayum thing!

Thanks for the video! I've always really dug your yosh decals. really nice touch on the cover.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        Here is what the bike looked like on a test ride prior to the 300 mile retorque on the head bolts.

Jim
                        Hats off Jim! that thing looks fantastic!!

I can really appreciate the attention to detail, the plug wires, top end cooler, frame color, the Ohlins, painted triples, the decals it all works well. Very tastefully done.

Comment

Thanks Guys

Just thought I would do an update based on the engine update. I still have to post a review of Terry's head; this thing is much faster but very street able. In other words it acts like stock till you roll on the throttle, then you can really tell the difference. It is hard to see from the pics but 1168 cc is there. I still need to raise the needles a notch, but it is mean as it needs to be for now going to red line.

If I get bored then the slingshots go on.

Joe,
                          Thanks as well, yea I have probably spent about the same amount of time as you on little details. Hell it is almost as fun working on them as ridding We are in Mid April and the school semester has about 1 more month; after that I will get to the gixxer suspension.

Jim

Comment

Proud of the Yoshi ignition cover???
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

All I can say is that is one awesome machine !!!!!!!! I want one when I grow up !!! Cheers

Comment

Exhaust

Jim,

What paint did you use on the Yoshi?

Comment

Working...
                                X