Grounding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grounding

I will be regrounding my GS550T once spring rolls around up here in Minnesota. Is there anything I need to know before I do this? Mine are rusted out. My main wire on the battery terminal is fine just the others are not.

1.what are good points I could use?
    2.How many points are there?
    3.I have extra 12 gauge wire is this to big?
    4. any questions I missed?

Thank you
    Jake

My suggested grounding upgrades

I pasted a point to point grounding scheme here.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

This provides both electrical and thermal grounds(heat sink to the frame to keep the R/R from overheating).

Posplayr

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      I pasted a point to point grounding scheme here.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

This provides both electrical and thermal grounds(heat sink to the frame to keep the R/R from overheating).

Posplayr
      You mention running a ground wire from the solenoid to the R/R mount screw. I presume you still need the heavy ground wire from the solenoid to the engine block?

Comment

Solenoid ground

The ground I'm talking about is for the solenoid control not the primary current from the battery to the starter motor. BTW there is no heavy ground from solenoid to the motor case. Solenoid is typically 4 wire device two for heavy current output and two for the coil control. In this case the last leg is simply grounded to the case inside so you need to get that ground back to the battery. A wire from the back screw to ground works well(it is on the right side of the selonoid atatched in back in the picture with a blue ring connection.

As a test to convince yourself. If your side plate is off the bike, the starter switch won't work. On my bike at least there is a yellow/green wire that comes from the started switch that is the high side of the solenoid (it is soldered into the solenoid at the front left). The ground on the other hand is through the mounting plate and has to get back to the battery. With the plate unbolted the started will not crank. So a poor connection could result in sudden non operational starter.

Posplayr

Comment

Thanks for the tip! :-D

Comment

Working...
          X