Honda F4I shock on 750ES!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda F4I shock on 750ES!!

I happen to have a stripped-down Honda CBR600F4I sitting in the garage right now - a friend just picked it up as a basket case, and we're planning on building a wheelie machine out of it (that's another story entirely - I'll post photos and a write-up as it progresses. We're trying to have it ready for our motorcycle festival in June).

But I digress - I was dismantling the F4I to get it cleaned up for the rebuild, and I noticed that the mounting eyes are identical to the shock mounts for the 750ES. I didn't have a chance to measure the unladen lenght yet, but I wanted to post to see if anyone had used an F4I shock (or any other Honda shock) on a 750ES.

If so, it's a steal for me, since we're probably going to run the wheelie bike strutted for easier launches.

If anyone's done this conversion, let me know. If not, I'll go ahead and give it a shot along with photos and a writeup.

I do have a GSXR shock I was going to swap in, but the mounts don't match and I wasn't looking forward to machining new mounts....

Wish me luck, and let me know if I can expect any snags!

-Q!

Nobody?

Has anyone used any type of Honda mono-shock on a GS?

Comment

Q,

Looks like most people doing it are keeping it in the family (GSXR)

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

the nearest i can do for you is to tell you ive used a cbr600rr shock on a gsxr slingshot (a tight fit but works well)

Not sure but at a educated guess either shock will be too long for your es due to the slightly odd stock setup

Comment

Honda Shock on a GS750ES

The length will be critical since this, through the linkage, will dramatically affect the rear height. I put a showa shock out of a VTR Honda on my GS750ES. I had to take it to a machine shop and have the top mount machined a little narrower to fit. The VTR shock is slightly longer than the stock GS750ES shock and raised the rear height slightly. The VTR shock is nice in that it has the spring preload adjustment and adjustments for both compression and rebound damping. Someday I may try the upside down mounted GSXR shock that I've read about here.

Comment

I mounted a '97 750 GSXR shock on mine. It raised the rear up too much and the chain rubbed on the swingarm more than it should so I removed it and got a Hagon for it. Works well with the GSX 600 wheels and front end assembly that are on it.
            Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Thanks, guys - the lenghts look very close just eyeballing it. I'll take them off and measure them this weekend and let you know. If it's comparable, I'll write up a report.

-Q!

Comment

Working...
              X