Cartridge emulators, RaceTech springs, anti-dive Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe

Thanks Joe, it sounds like I should at least be able to stuff those progressives into the tubes including the emulators without cutting them down. 8-[

I will see how that static ride height is before doing anything else. Since the adjuster is 13 mm of range v.s. the emulator 14 mm stack height, you are basically ridding on the stiffest setting having not done anything to the spring. If I have to cut my spring, I will have it done or just get a racetech spring rather than the progressive.:-|

As far as the emulator, I think I have 15 wt oil in my other bike (and on the shelf) and so at the stock emulator setting It would be stiffer than yours at 10 wt oil. I'll try that as my GS750 seems to ride OK (but what do I know):?.

Thanks again you have been more helpful that one is to expect.

Posplayr

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Thanks Joe, it sounds like I should at least be able to stuff those progressives into the tubes including the emulators without cutting them down. 8-[

I will see how that static ride height is before doing anything else. Since the adjuster is 13 mm of range v.s. the emulator 14 mm stack height, you are basically ridding on the stiffest setting having not done anything to the spring. If I have to cut my spring, I will have it done or just get a racetech spring rather than the progressive.:-|

As far as the emulator, I think I have 15 wt oil in my other bike (and on the shelf) and so at the stock emulator setting It would be stiffer than yours at 10 wt oil. I'll try that as my GS750 seems to ride OK (but what do I know):?.

Thanks again you have been more helpful that one is to expect.

Posplayr
      If I remember correctly the springs stuck out about one inch from the top of the fork tubes. I'm pretty sure my static sag is around 1.5 inches. I'll try to check it tomorrow and let you know..............

Thanks,
      Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Suspension Update GS1100ED

Here is a pic I took on the Yosemite Trip while overlooking Lake Tahoe. The bike ran great and handled even better. No doubt the racetech emulators are a major contributor. Chef helped me get her started and he dialed in the carbs. We traded of for much of the trip. He said it was the best handling GS he had ridden.

In summary what I did for the front forks:

All new rubber and Teflon parts:
        Buffed the chrome tubes to remove all machine marks and minimize roughness of rust pits (uppers only)

GS1100E Racetech emulators (factory setting on adjuster) #FEGV-S3301
        GS1100E Progressive springs (un cut)
        No spacer (just the 14 mm emulator)
        Static preload adjustment at the lightest (top of 13 mm range)
        15 wt fork oil
        Blocked off the anti-dive oil passage to the fork with a plate.
        Blocked off the anti-dive banjo at the brake calipers (anti dive brake line is dry and non functional)

Other suspension mods:

Fork brace (also the stock brace under the fender)
        SU-143 Ohlins on the rear
        Pirrelli Sport Demons 130-90-17 and 100-90-19

Thanks a lot to Joe and Mike for letting me get this right the first time.

Posplayr
        Last edited by posplayr; 07-16-2008, 06:55 PM.

Comment

FYI 35 mm emulators

Quote:
          I used the Racetech FEGV s3301 gold valve emulators. Worked great. I didn't even need spring spacers because the emulator compressed the springs just enough for a 150 lb rider (me).
          Does the Skunk have 37 mm forks? The FEGV S3301 is listed for the 82-83 only on the Racetech website.

BTW I have a 81 GS750 with 35 mm forks and I found this Ebay listing for emulators that are probably knock off's of the Racetech units (1/2 price).
          They are for a 35 mm CB750 and the CB750 cross references to the FEGV S3001 emulator. I'll report back after I get them installed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...239483807&rd=1

Comment

I'll report back after I get them installed.

Yes please do, Although I own an 1100 it would still be good to hear if these knock-offs as as good as the real thing......From a person who has both.
            Very cool opportunity for everyone here who may what to save some pennys in the future
            :-)

Comment

Quote:
              I used the Racetech FEGV s3301 gold valve emulators. Worked great. I didn't even need spring spacers because the emulator compressed the springs just enough for a 150 lb rider (me).
              Does the Skunk have 37 mm forks? The FEGV S3301 is listed for the 82-83 only on the Racetech website.

BTW I have a 81 GS750 with 35 mm forks and I found this Ebay listing for emulators that are probably knock off's of the Racetech units (1/2 price).
              They are for a 35 mm CB750 and the CB750 cross references to the FEGV S3001 emulator. I'll report back after I get them installed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...239483807&rd=1
              Hey there Jim.

Did you try the knock off emulators?? How did they go?

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
                Hey there Jim.

Did you try the knock off emulators?? How did they go?
                Colin,
                The only knock offs I have been able to find are for the 35 mm forks (like a GS750).

The emulators for the 37mm GS1100E and 41mm for the GSXR 1100E have been Racetech stuff.

I have not installed the knock off emulators for the GS750 yet. They seem to be of as good a quality as the racetech stuff even have more understandable instructions than RT.

Jim

Comment

I've got a set of the emulators for 35mm forks and I'm wondering if I could use them on my 37mm GS750 forks. I have some washers that are a perfect fit OD for the top of the damper tubes and just a hair small on the ID for the emulators to drop into. Two minutes with a file and I'd have 2mm high collars that would hold the emulators perfectly centered and when the emulators are centered the spring makes good solid contact all around the top surface. $160 isn't in the budget right now but $60 might work...

I'm guessing the emulators for 37mm forks MIGHT have more port area. If that is the case I wonder if you could compensate by running a thinner oil or using a softer preload like 1.75 - 2 turns instead or 2 - 2.5.

Posplayr, do you have or remember the install instructions for the 37mm fork units? I want to drill a spare set of 750 damper rods while I have those toys out. Do they call for 3x sets of 8mm holes like the 35mm "aftermarket" parts do?
                  There is also a part called the Oil Lock Piece (Part 22, 83 gs750es) which is kind of upside down mushroom shaped on the 750 forks and has four ports around the bottom. Did you have this on your forks and did you drill it out also?

/\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by Macmatic View Post
                    I've got a set of the emulators for 35mm forks and I'm wondering if I could use them on my 37mm GS750 forks. I have some washers that are a perfect fit OD for the top of the damper tubes and just a hair small on the ID for the emulators to drop into. Two minutes with a file and I'd have 2mm high collars that would hold the emulators perfectly centered and when the emulators are centered the spring makes good solid contact all around the top surface. $160 isn't in the budget right now but $60 might work...

I'm guessing the emulators for 37mm forks MIGHT have more port area. If that is the case I wonder if you could compensate by running a thinner oil or using a softer preload like 1.75 - 2 turns instead or 2 - 2.5.

Posplayr, do you have or remember the install instructions for the 37mm fork units? I want to drill a spare set of 750 damper rods while I have those toys out. Do they call for 3x sets of 8mm holes like the 35mm "aftermarket" parts do?
                    There is also a part called the Oil Lock Piece (Part 22, 83 gs750es) which is kind of upside down mushroom shaped on the 750 forks and has four ports around the bottom. Did you have this on your forks and did you drill it out also?

/\/\ac
                    I'll look if I still have the instructions for the 37mm fork emulators; in the meantime here is what I did for the 41mm forks.

Comment

I found a thread on another forum talking about adapting the XS emulators into 41mm tubes and it seemed to work out for him. I just ordered myself up a set. Great if you can find the install but it looks like 6x 8mm holes ought to be fine.

Posplayr, what weight fork oil are you running with the emulators? Any plans to go up or down in weight?

Starting at post #57

/\/\ac

Comment

Keep Going Mac... I want to find a way to do this on the 37mm Skunk forks... they are "ok" with progressives & correct preload etc but could be a lot better!

Dan
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

fork oil

Originally posted by mac1170 View Post
                          gday guys, i run the gold valves emulators in my 1100et, im 80kg, i found 5weight oil, is good just wound down the adjuster an extra 2 turns,to put more preload on the spring on the shim stack, the oil weight is about adjusting rebound damping, i also use progressive springs, with a 2inch spacer and the lowest spring preload, on the forks, regards.
                          gday guys, the fork oil is used for rebound, you adjust the allen bolt, on the shim stack for compression, i never cut the springs, i just machined up a new preload spacer, and remember, you have to work out your static sag, etc, for rider weight, it's all about trial, and error, regards.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            Keep Going Mac... I want to find a way to do this on the 37mm Skunk forks... they are "ok" with progressives & correct preload etc but could be a lot better!

Dan
                            I'll be sure to post back here after I get the 35mm emulators and install them in the GS750 but it's going to be probably a month before I can get the time and money to do it in one shot. I never found anything in that thread about the emulators not working with the spacer and RT DOES say that a spacer can be used if they don't have an exact match so I feel pretty comfortable going with the 35mm emulators in 37mm forks. I put my money down already!

I should be putting miles on the GS450 with 550M forks and emulators next week so I'll give some feedback on how they feel. I ended up with 7.5wt fork oil because it was that or 20wt locally. RT seems to suggest a heavier oil than I've seen a lot of people mention running but people seem happy with the thinner oils.

/\/\ac (Another Dan)

Comment

I have a full spare set of skunk forks to play with so will be watching with interest.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Couldn't find a link to the emulators you're looking to fit... do you have one?

Dan
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                                X