Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

530 chain conversion

Hi guys,

I have a '79 gs750 and am thinking of putting on a 530 chain with different sprockets. Am I right in assuming that a larger front sprocket and a smaller rear sprocket equal greater acceleration and power in the low end? And would this make the engine have to run at higher rpm's at high speeds? Also, what's the difference between a 530 and 630 chain? I might just get a new chain - anyone know a good site that has some deals on chains? I've looked around and they're a little pricey.

Thanks,
    aujax

If you were to put a smaller front sprocket or a larger rear sprocket you will gain more acceleration and lose top speed. It will have an effect on the rpm at a given rpm. For example if you currently run lets say 4000 rpm at 55mph with the sprocket change your rpms will be higher depending upon what sprockets you put on.

The conversion is a populay conversion. The 530 chain is lighter and usually less expensive that a comprobale 630 chain. Technology has come a long way since the early 80s and 530 chains are stronger than alot of 630 chains available today.

I did the conversion on my bike and am very happy with the performance and look.

Comment

Originally posted by aujax View Post
      Hi guys,

I have a '79 gs750 and am thinking of putting on a 530 chain with different sprockets. Am I right in assuming that a larger front sprocket and a smaller rear sprocket equal greater acceleration and power in the low end? And would this make the engine have to run at higher rpm's at high speeds? Also, what's the difference between a 530 and 630 chain? I might just get a new chain - anyone know a good site that has some deals on chains? I've looked around and they're a little pricey.

Thanks,
      aujax
      As Doug says, you have it backwards. A bigger front sprocket with a smaller rear sprocket will make the gearing taller, which reduces acceleration and lowers revs. If you gear for acceleration, yes your engine will run higher RPM everywhere. You can figure out how much higher by figuring the percentage change between the sprockets you are looking at. If you have a 15/42 combo and want to put a 45 tooth rear sprocket on you will change the gearing by 45/42=1.07, or 7%. Your revs will also jump by the same factor, so say you ran 5000rpm on the highway, it would now run 5000x1.07=5350rpm.

The difference between the chains is the pitch between the rollers. Chain numbers tell you what size they are. The first number is pitch in 1/8" increments. The second number is width between the plates, also in 1/8" (I believe). So a 630 chain has a 3/4" pitch (6/8 = 3/4) and is 3/8" between sideplates. A 530 chain has 5/8" pitch and is 3/8" between plates.

As Doug says, 530 is more available now, usually cheaper and just as strong if not stronger. Most current sportbikes, including liter bikes, come with 530 chain stock. One thing to note is that you will probably have much more sprocket selection in 530 or 520 sizes if that is important to you.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
        The difference between the chains is the pitch between the rollers. Chain numbers tell you what size they are. The first number is pitch in 1/8" increments. The second number is width between the plates, also in 1/8" (I believe). So a 630 chain has a 3/4" pitch (6/8 = 3/4) and is 3/8" between sideplates. A 530 chain has 5/8" pitch and is 3/8" between plates.
        Mark
        Being that this is the case, you cant use your 630 sprockets with 530 chain as you indicated you might try. But since the teeth on a 530 are smaller, you'll have to convert to get the right size. A 18 tooth 630 is much larger than a 18 tooth 530. If you take your current 630 sprocket size, divide by 5, and multiply by 6, you'll get the equivalent 530 size. In many cases, you'll get a 1/2 or quarter size, in which case you'll just have to decide whether to round up or down. Its also worth noting that you'll need a longer chain. The same conversion works. Divide current links by 5, x 6, If you get an uneven number here, you have a few options, depending upon if you have a chain breaker or not. I bought the next size up, and cut it down when I determined the min number of links I could run with the chain adjusted properly. OR, you can round down and hope it fits. Either way, I did this swap and its worked great so far.

Comment

Quality chains cost more, but they last longer, given some basic maintenance . Most here would agree that Z1 Enterprises is a good vendor for these and other parts..
          Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

I got the 530 conversion kit (530 chain, both sprockets and spacer if required) from them....they have a handy formula on the site to calculate rpms at 60 mph with various sprocket combos. I went with a set that dropped cruising rpm by around 350 at 60 mph, and am quite happy with it, as there was a negligible loss in lower end performance.
          Jeff, the owner of Z1, happens to me a member here, and I'm sure he would be happy to help, if the info on the site is not self-explanatory.
          Tony.

EDIT: This guide should answer most questions.
          Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
          Last edited by Mysuzyq; 03-16-2008, 01:19 PM.
          '82 GS1100E

Comment

Here is another helpful chart to help figure out the proper sprocket size to use when converting over to a 530.
            We are sorry, but this page cannot be found. If you have any questions or can't find what you are looking for, please contact us .

Comment

Originally posted by atvpyrofreak View Post
              But since the teeth on a 530 are smaller, you'll have to convert to get the right size. A 18 tooth 630 is much larger than a 18 tooth 530.
              The pitch diameter has no effect on the gearing, so a 15/45 combo is the same gearing for either a 630 or 530 chain set. The 530 sprockets are smaller though and it is a good idea to get bigger sprockets to avoid the chain rubbing on the swingarm and for longer chain life. In general, you want the biggest front sprocket that will fit and then you match the rear to get the drive ratio you want.

Mark

Comment

Call Z1 tell them what you want to do and they will give you all the info you ever need. Only took about 3 days to get my new chain and sprockets. I wanted lower rpms at cruising speed. Really happy with my conversion.

Comment

Working...
                X