Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A pleasant surprise (in the middle of a bunch of crap)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A pleasant surprise (in the middle of a bunch of crap)

Last fall I purchased a spare 750 engine off a guy on ebay. It was local pick up only, and I got it for $40.

My current engine has some issues, so my plan was to rebuild this one and swap them. I put it on the back burner until today. The weather was nice and I decided to dig in. I have never taken one of these motors apart, so the going was slow.

I got pretty cheesed off when I removed the starter motor cover and saw that the motor was missing. I don't remember anywhere in the auction saying that it wouldn't be there. I know a case can be made for not including it in the sale, but I think it was a little disingenuous not to mention it.

This is where it gets super cool. I removed the points cover, and there staring back at me was a brand new looking Dyna ignition. It looked like it just came out of the packaging. Woot! I just tripled my investment. I was about two seconds away from ordering one last week. Glad I didn't now. I find it kind of funny the PO yanked a $10 starter, but left this there.

Anyway, I wasn't sure how far I was going to go with the rehabbing of this engine, but as I was removing the cylinders about a teaspoon full of hidden dirt fell into the case. It looked kind of like my crank just got back from the beach.

That is one question answered. I will be completely tearing this things apart. Which on the bright side means I get to strip and paint and do all that great stuff that will result in an engine that looks brand new.

Get ready for a barrage of questions from me over the next few weeks.

Great news about the Dyna igntion.

You learned lesson number one about doing engine work; always clean the engine first. Simple Green works pretty well along with a good hose off. Hopefully the grit did not go down into any of the roller element crank bearings - not sure how to clean those out properly other than maybe spraying a ton of brake cleaner at the bearing - don't let it spin while you do it, whether using spray or compressed air.

At any rate, enjoy the project.

Good luck.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I did attempt to clean off the engine, but I missed some crevice that was hiding some crud.

I think I will definitely be washing it more thoroughly next time, and probably blasting it with some compressed air.

Comment

Originally posted by beergood View Post
        I did attempt to clean off the engine, but I missed some crevice that was hiding some crud.

I think I will definitely be washing it more thoroughly next time, and probably blasting it with some compressed air.
        The bathtub works great for that.. Just ask my wife...

Comment

The four center head studs held a lot of powdered rust on mine. Some of it fell in.
          Going to pull the pan and try to rinse the rest of it out the bottom.

I have also used a small tube hooked to a vacuum cleaner to vacuum crud out of tight places.

Congrats on the ignition, nice score.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by lecroy View Post
            The bathtub works great for that.. Just ask my wife...
            +1 on the bathtub. and the wife.
            1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Originally posted by beergood View Post
              Last fall I purchased a spare 750 engine off a guy on ebay. It was local pick up only, and I got it for $40.

My current engine has some issues, so my plan was to rebuild this one and swap them. I put it on the back burner until today. The weather was nice and I decided to dig in. I have never taken one of these motors apart, so the going was slow.

I got pretty cheesed off when I removed the starter motor cover and saw that the motor was missing. I don't remember anywhere in the auction saying that it wouldn't be there. I know a case can be made for not including it in the sale, but I think it was a little disingenuous not to mention it.

This is where it gets super cool. I removed the points cover, and there staring back at me was a brand new looking Dyna ignition. It looked like it just came out of the packaging. Woot! I just tripled my investment. I was about two seconds away from ordering one last week. Glad I didn't now. I find it kind of funny the PO yanked a $10 starter, but left this there.

Anyway, I wasn't sure how far I was going to go with the rehabbing of this engine, but as I was removing the cylinders about a teaspoon full of hidden dirt fell into the case. It looked kind of like my crank just got back from the beach.

That is one question answered. I will be completely tearing this things apart. Which on the bright side means I get to strip and paint and do all that great stuff that will result in an engine that looks brand new.

Get ready for a barrage of questions from me over the next few weeks.
              i will be watching this, i have a 78750 and i've learned a TON from your threads....oh, your vanity site is ok too, i guess.
              1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

gday guys, kerosene is great for cleaning bearings and the like,as it leaves a film of oil on everything after it dries off,regards

Comment

Working...
                X