Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX-1100g a "detuned" GSXR-1100?

Well, Title says it all.

So I know it is...I've been looking around 'net for awhile to get more DETAILS...

I have a very beautiful 92 GSX-1100g, with 7000 orig miles, looks like a new bike. And it's *fast.* But not as fast as it *could* be. Available data suggests that my bike is "detuned" to about 100 hp. Gixxer has 136...

Just WHAT did they do to these engines to "detune" them? Anybody have an idea?

Thanks in advance

Clay

I don't know the Technical terms but from what I have read they changed the Power band on the GSX to gain low end Grunt (probably to compare more favorably with the V-Max at the Time) which cost some HP at Higher RPMs. I have been told that there are Go faster parts out there for them but I haven't felt the need to go faster yet.:-D So, are You coming to the Big "G" Man rally in Eastern Kentucky the last weekend of May?
    Last edited by marvinsc; 03-26-2008, 09:04 PM.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Some countries passed legislation limiting the HP output of road bikes, the 100HP limit seems to be a spec that turns up a lot. Though modern machines combine chip and hardware to limit power the older GS's were also HP limited depending on the country. For the older models it was things like carb specs, timing/ignition systems, intake systems and exhaust systems that detuned and robbed the power from our glorious GS's, oh yeah, and those other makers as well. Sure take theirs but not ours! Cheers.
      Shin-Ken 1074
      1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
      1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Hmmm...

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
        I don't know the Technical terms but from what I have read they changed the Power band on the GSX to gain low end Grunt (probably to compare more favorably with the V-Max at the Time) which cost some HP at Higher RPMs. I have been told that there are Go faster parts out there for them but I haven't felt the need to go faster yet.:-D So, are You coming to the Big "G" Man rally in Eastern Kentucky the last weekend of May?
        Well, I'm a bit of a nut. I do feel the need to go a bit faster. Not really faster, I just wanna get going fast, faster...:twisted: I'd like the front wheel to really come off the ground - in THIRD gear...

This bike is too pristeen, and I'm too lazy, to do something as radical as tearing down the engine to swap cams or something...but if it were something a bit simpler like a chip, or carbs, or timing - I'd like to grab back those 36 stolen horsies from my G. So if anyone has more specific knowledge of just *what* they did (or didn't do) to these engines, I'd be fascinated to know.

And I'd like to go, but the G-rally is not looking very likely. New job, moving, trying to close on a new house and move, and get settled...I'd have to have a serious wild hare up my !@# to do it. But thanks for asking...:-D

Comment

Well, I don't know much about G but let's make a guess based on other "detuned" Suzuki engines. For example engine on the Bandit is very close to the older Gixxer engines and it outputs about 100 hp. There are several differences between these engines what explains lower power of the Babdit. For example cams are different, compression ratio is lower, exhaust is more restrictive and so on. So there is quite much work to bring the bandit up to Gixxer numbers. On the other hand only swapping the exhaust gives remarkable power gain.

So I guess that there isn't any easy trick to get 36 hp more to your G. Most likely it would require swapping the cams at least. But there is good change that you may get some power just by swapping the exhaust and jetting the carbs.
          Arttu
          GS1100E EFI turbo
          Project thread

Comment

The 1100g is restricted by the use of milder cams & different ignition timing & i believe smaller carbs were also fitted to improve torque

Basically it is a 1127 gsxr oil cooled engine nicked from the late 80's early 90's gsxr's with the addition of shaft drive & limited by the above mods to around 100bhp

gsxr's of the period the engine was borrowed from where producing 125bhp at best as stock its only the later models that got into the true 130+ bhp range so if you are thinking a cam & carb upgrade you need to be looking at the slingshot K/L/M models the top ends compete will fit right on but if you just change the cams you may need to swap the cam sprockets its also advisable to check that any top end parts come from a head with locknut & screw valve ajustment not the shim type heads :-D

Comment

Originally posted by gasmanstl View Post
              Well, Title says it all.

So I know it is...I've been looking around 'net for awhile to get more DETAILS...

I have a very beautiful 92 GSX-1100g, with 7000 orig miles, looks like a new bike. And it's *fast.* But not as fast as it *could* be. Available data suggests that my bike is "detuned" to about 100 hp. Gixxer has 136...

Just WHAT did they do to these engines to "detune" them? Anybody have an idea?

Thanks in advance

Clay
              Clay, I have a 94 GSXR1100W that I bought new and I think it was rated at 150. Nice big heavy bike. I was not aware of them dialing back that far model to model.

Comment

Originally posted by lecroy View Post
                Clay, I have a 94 GSXR1100W that I bought new and I think it was rated at 150. Nice big heavy bike. I was not aware of them dialing back that far model to model.

completely different model my friend :-D yours is a liquid cooled engine that bares no resemblance to the earlier oil cooled beasts dating back to 1985 :-D

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                  completely different model my friend :-D yours is a liquid cooled engine that bares no resemblance to the earlier oil cooled beasts dating back to 1985 :-D
                  Ahhhh liquid cooooooling, yea.... That thing could spit me out any time it wants. Nice fun bike to ride on the street.

Still, I was thinking about this 25hp drop, it seems like a lot of detune.

Comment

Still, I was thinking about this 25hp drop, it seems like a lot of detune.[/quote]

A lot, indeed...

Comment

Originally posted by gasmanstl View Post
                      Still, I was thinking about this 25hp drop, it seems like a lot of detune.

A lot, indeed...[/quote]

true but midrange torque went up a fair bit & thats what you need on the road, just think of it as a bandit with shaft drive :-D same power & torque & we all know bandits aint slow

Comment

Was reading in Cycle World magazine about how Triumph retuned the big 2300 triple for touring use; HP went from 140 to 106, but torque went up and peaked at a lower rpm. Suzuki likewise tuned the new 1250 Bandit for low end torque; max HP is quite low by modern standards.

I think the bottom line is that big HP numbers are mostly for braging rights, not for street riding enjoyment. Give me that GSX engine with all the midrange torque any day over the peaky GSXR HP. Only thing holding back that big shafty is the WEIGHT - it's a TANK. Enjoy it for what it is.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          Was reading in Cycle World magazine about how Triumph retuned the big 2300 triple for touring use; HP went from 140 to 106, but torque went up and peaked at a lower rpm. Suzuki likewise tuned the new 1250 Bandit for low end torque; max HP is quite low by modern standards.

I think the bottom line is that big HP numbers are mostly for braging rights, not for street riding enjoyment. Give me that GSX engine with all the midrange torque any day over the peaky GSXR HP. Only thing holding back that big shafty is the WEIGHT - it's a TANK. Enjoy it for what it is.
                          True, but a fast one!\\/

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Question for ya regarding your GSX. How would you compare the smoothess of the GSX to your 850? I've been talking with a GSX owner thats selling his. Giving it serious thought but I'm not interested if its not as smooth as the 850
                            Willie
                            Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                            '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                            '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                            '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

The GSX1100G Can be smooth but with all the extra kick it is more prone to be Violent on accelleration. That is entirely controllable with the Right Wrist.:-D I say go for it, mine gets better gas mileage than My 850 did.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Working...
                              X