Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can i just buy indivdual jets instead of a whole kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can i just buy indivdual jets instead of a whole kit?

i have an 82 gs1100L and i want to get an exhuast for it and put a k&n drop in filter. i rebuilt the carbs so it has fresh jets in it. i was wondering if i could just buy individual jets to compensate for the extra air flow instead of a whole dyno jet kit. if so, what jets? and generally what size jets for what i want to do. thanks guys, any info would be great. currently the main jet is a 115 i think, and pilot jet is a 40 or 45. do the jets flow more as the number gets bigger or smaller?

That's the best way to do it. Since they will need to be changed, with the exhaust and pods anyways.

Cory

Comment

wait im confused. what is the best way to do it? so does that mean i can get individual jets? if so, where, and generally what size for my setup im looking to do. thanks.

Comment

The bigger the jet the more fuel flow. Check out denniskirk.com. You can buy jets in sets of two. I'd go with the 122.5 on the main and keep the pilot stock.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You should be able to get individual jets.

The problem is that finding the right one is a matter of experimenting, and depending on the changes you are making may make little difference or quite a lot.

I think, personally, the best way to go is to make the changes and then see how the bike runs. If it's close, then maybe going for individual jets will get you there.

In any event, a set of jets will get you there faster, as you won't have to wait for each change. But the price may not be worth the wait.

Depends how much of a hurry you are in. Out of a set of six jet sizes times four, you are going to wind up using 1 times four, and banking the other 20.

Or maybe you could sell them on for about half what you paid for them.

Just in passing, my 750 runs an aftermarket 4:1 exhaust system with the stock airbox and filter. When I got it, it had no filter in. It runs stock jets with no perceivable difference.

So I would say make your changes, and then see how it runs before you decide what to do about jets.

Comment

You should be able to get single jets at a bike shop or a snowmobile shop.

Comment

I talked dynojet about my bike's jet kit. The guy said you can buy anything seperate execpt for the needles. if it helps.

Comment

Working...
              X