Breather hose with pods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breather hose with pods?

I've been running pods on my GS750 since I got it. I had never found a good way to route my valvecover breather hose. It will seep oil over time. My last setup I had was a long hoes running into a plastic bottle(catch can). It looked stupid and eventually filled up to the top with oil after a few thousand miles. Any ideas, I dont like the breather filter really because they fill up with all the moisture and leak on the bike.

You really need to get it up high so the air can escape & any oil can condense & run back I guess....

Be watching this one with interest.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I have my filter on the hose and it is almost horizontal. have not had any problems with oil dripping or leaking from my filter. Here is the best I can do for a picture for now.. It's that blue thing above the pods.

Comment

Run it to just above the chain so that if oil comes out you get free chain lube

Comment

Originally posted by Junkie View Post
          Run it to just above the chain so that if oil comes out you get free chain lube
          Great idea, don't have to make another automatic chain oiler.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yeah, mine runs along the spine of the bike, then down to under the battery box where it has a filter on it, it drips under the bike.

Comment

I have mine where the old airbox was bolted down.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

On dragbikes we are REQUIRED to run a catch can. There is a SAFETY reason for this! If the oil gets on the tire you can CRASH! run it into a catch can or bottle like you did before but check it & empty it if needed once a week. If you have to empty it often you have too much blowby or the crankcase is overfilled & you need to remedy whichever the issue is. Ray.

Comment

Doesn't the catch can also need a vent on the top of it to let the air out?

Could you T a drain hose from the bottom of the catch can back to somewhere (maybe even the breather hose..) to allow condensed oil to run back into the engine?

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

Could you T a drain hose from the bottom of the catch can back to somewhere (maybe even the breather hose..) to allow condensed oil to run back into the engine?

Dan
                    YES! In fact, we are setting up a friend's dragbike that way right now. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

Dan
                      yep, my father's BMW is set up that way (and as a 1000cc boxer, it moves a lot of air). works pretty well.

I know a few people around here who just have a red bull can with the breather hose pushed into the top.

Comment

gday mate, rapid ray your on the nose, we run our race bikes over here with the same setup, one thing to look out for, if you run a big block or high comp setup, your going to push more oil out the breather, due to the fact that, pressure above the piston, equals pressure below, something to do with volumetric efficiency, take your breather cover off, and drill out the ****y stock holes that suz, give you, allows less restriction for the breather, so oil stays in the sump,regards.

Comment

geez ran out of room,if you do this mod, you have to replace the breather box gasket on top of the rocker cover, and drill out both sides, suzuki only do one, **** i didnt realise you couldnt swear, on this forum, regards.

Comment

I just use an oil breather filter from Autozone with a 3" piece of tubing to attach to the valve cover. No problems with leaking oil.

Comment

That's exactly what I use RJ no problems leaking as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X