Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which clutch springs are little better then stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which clutch springs are little better then stock?

i want to replace the clutch springs on my 82 gs1100L, and i figure i might as well get something a little better then stock so there will be less chance of slipping. i have no problem with a stiffer clutch handle, but i need to be steered in the right direction. i read ebc springs are 10% over stock. but i dont know what part number for an 82' 8v bike. thanks.

I run with three Barnett HD springs and three stock. Great setup with plenty of grab.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I run with 3 EBC springs & 3 stock... not much difference in feel to Bill's, maybe a little lighter. They are more than 10% they drop one coil from about 7 or 8 so that's more like 20%.... 6 was pretty heavy, not impossible, I did 4k on them with 6 springs like that but eventually it got to me that it made my hand ache in really heavy traffic.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

are the part numbers different from the 82 16v engines and 8v engines. i just need the ones for the 8v.

Comment

I just asked Jeff at Z1 for a set... he did the rest. They were less than 10 bucks a set.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I had a clutch slip problem at the end of last year.

1) Scuff'd steels

2) New stock springs

3) All steels and fibers were in spec

4) bought new hub nut and washer because my old one was loose

5) Stacked two factory washers under new spring retainer bolts

6) Clutch does not slip \\/

Comment

gday mate, if your springs are slipping, and its not plates, find a spring maker in the phone book, go down and see him, with the springs, tell him to duplicate size but give it 10%, it should,nt be that costly, if its plates, the steels if they are blued can be given a light bead blast, fibres have to be replaced, a piece of glass is good to lay plates on to see if they are warped,regars.

Comment

gday guys, forgot to say if you have the dreaded rattles, you need to get the bearing spacer on the inner hub machined, as long as the outer hub is not, to chewed out where the fibre tangs engage, a good bike machine shop know exactly what is required, and its worth its weight in gold, to have a quiet clutch, regards john.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  I run with three Barnett HD springs and three stock. Great setup with plenty of grab.
                  Update
                  I now run with six Barnett HD springs. I keep making more power and the old setup was slipping at about 8000.
                  Now
                  WEEEEEEEE!!!
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

yea i put the 6 ebc springs in and i def made a difference, the clutch handle is a tad heavy but ill get used to it. now i have to do something about the tire slipping in first gear haha.

Comment

Working...
                    X