Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by catbed View Post
    sorry! how about this?

i heard that if you put a k&n replacement filter for stock, not pods, that the bike would run lean at WOT. i also heard that someone tuned their needle by switching the plastic and metal washer so the needle would sit higher. i also hope to get a little more power by increasing fuel. is any of this true?
    OK, better, but the needle has nothing to do with WOT, that is the domain of the main jet.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      IMHO,
      The size of the inlet air hole in the bottom of my air box has alot more to do with making a rich or lean condition than the type of airfilter.
      This is why testing is required.

Comment

sorry! how about this?
        Better.:-D

I'm not ridiculing you, but it drives me mad that this keeps floating around. It is a misconception that can hurt engines and makes it very hard to diagnose and tune carbs until the realization hits that it is throttle position that dictates which circuit you are on. Doing the tape bit and using the choke to test for rich/lean makes it pretty easy to get close in only a couple of tries on the jetting. Plug chops on top of that will get it sorted completely.

Carb tuning is not rocket science, but it requires a careful, methodical approach. Try to do two changes at once and you will be chasing your tail for a long time.

Mark

Comment

i heard that if you put a k&n replacement filter for stock, not pods, that the bike would run lean at WOT. i also heard that someone tuned their needle by switching the plastic and metal washer so the needle would sit higher. i also hope to get a little more power by increasing fuel. is any of this true?
          All depends. This is why you tune a motor. If you were on the rich side of things and you added even more fuel, no you will not make more power. Leaner is Meaner, until it blows. Of course, you could be so lean the motor would not run but that would be a stupid setup.

I would doubt you would see much change by brand of the stock air filter.

Previous posts are correct. RPM by itself has little to do with circuit being used. I guess if you tied in torque you could figure it out. Also the needle has little to do once with the A/F ratio at wide open throttle.

Comment

the carbs are all stock, so no increase in fuel flow from before. it is my understanding that these bikes cam e very lean from stock. am i wrong about this?

Comment

the carbs are all stock, so no increase in fuel flow from before. it is my understanding that these bikes cam e very lean from stock. am i wrong about this?
              Not wrong, and some leaner than others.
              Test it and then you will know.

Comment

Working...
              X