Confused about Dyna ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused about Dyna ...

First off, this website and the members are amazing. Thanks all who have help me so far.

I have a 1982 GS1100EZ and looking to install newer electrics, namely the the Dyna S DS3-2 unit everyone raves about. I plan on calling Dynatech about application, but thought I would ask here first. (I am also getting the green coils and new wires, etc)

Will the DS3-2 unit work/fit the 1982 GS1100EZ? I see a lot of people using the unit for all sorts of bikes here, some 83 1100's, various years of the 850's etc, however the Dynatech website does not have a listing for an 1982 GS1100. For a 1981 and earlier bikes - sure, Z1 says the same thing.

I've searched and see that the 82+ years have "newer" ignition systems, but yet I still see some people here with 82+ year bikes state they have this Dyna S system.

Q1) Is the DS3-2 meant for a 1982 GS1100EZ and if so, why does Dynatech and Z1 not mention this?

Q2) Is the Dyna 2000 system a better fit for the 82+ year bikes?

I'm corn-fused

Thanks all

Don't quote me on this but I think all that you need to do to get it to work would be to install a mechanical advancer from an older bike.
    Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
    2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

Originally posted by windex View Post
      First off, this website and the members are amazing. Thanks all who have help me so far.

I have a 1982 GS1100EZ and looking to install newer electrics, namely the the Dyna S DS3-2 unit everyone raves about. I plan on calling Dynatech about application, but thought I would ask here first. (I am also getting the green coils and new wires, etc)

Will the DS3-2 unit work/fit the 1982 GS1100EZ? I see a lot of people using the unit for all sorts of bikes here, some 83 1100's, various years of the 850's etc, however the Dynatech website does not have a listing for an 1982 GS1100. For a 1981 and earlier bikes - sure, Z1 says the same thing.

I've searched and see that the 82+ years have "newer" ignition systems, but yet I still see some people here with 82+ year bikes state they have this Dyna S system.

Q1) Is the DS3-2 meant for a 1982 GS1100EZ and if so, why does Dynatech and Z1 not mention this?

Q2) Is the Dyna 2000 system a better fit for the 82+ year bikes?

I'm corn-fused

Thanks all
      Can't answer your initial question however I use the Dyna 2000 on my 82 1100. Not cheap but works well. Other than the first couple of days I've done very little switching between the optional advance curves it provides. I think I just leave it on curve number 3. might be able to pick one up on ebay.

If your going to buy coils now too, I suggest the dyna miniature series. I've had bad luck (twice) with the Dyna green coils. They wore out fast, they easily short against the frame if it rained and they don't fit well in the GS1100 engine compartment which is part of the reason why they short. For those reasons I don't suggest buying used dyna coils off ebay. Some of the stock GSXR coils might be ok though. If you do a search there should be some info on what might be compatible in the GSXR family

I've switched over to the Dyna Miniature Series. They fit perfectly without the need for a home made bracket, they have a very snug water tight fit to the HT wire boots and don't have the issues related to shorting against the frame, because they fit well.

Other peoples results may differ.

Comment

On the green dynas, I'll defer to you for the results on your bike.. They fit differrently on different bikes. They bolted right on my 81 gs1000 with the stock bolts and no modifications.

I have to admit I'm a bit confused on this topic as well. I have a signal generator, but behind it is a mechanical advance.

Comment

Suzuki stopped using a mechanical advancer some time about 1982 - which the Dyna S requires. I've also heard of people using a mechanical advancer from an early bike on later bikes but don't have any actual experience so I'm not sure.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If you have electronic advance on the 82's then you need the manual advance mech to fit the Dyna S. On the 80/81 they already have the mechanical advance.

Greens bolted up ok for me, I've had one go down after a year though & they are a very tight fit.....

If you want to fit the S get a mech advance from an earlier model or your other option is to fit the Dyna 2000.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

That makes sense. I have an 81, so they had gone away from points to a signal generator, but still had the mechanical advance that they got rid of the next year.

Comment

hey isleoman,

just from what I've been seeing, the Z1 site, they say that the minis are NOT to be used with the Dyna S system....

"Check the resistance of the coils you are replacing to ensure a correct match. These coils are designed for use with the Dyna 2000 and 3000 series ignitions, factory installed electronics, or other after-market ignitions that employ dwell control They should not be used with the Dyna-S ignitions. If you have questions if these are correct, please call us or Dynatek at 1-800-928-3962
                Never select a coil with a lower resistance than your ignition system - this will cause the coils to overheat and burn out... It is OK to select coils with a slightly higher resistance."

After some more research, I don't think I'm gonna get the Dyna S. I'm gonna get some new coils and wires for now and save some cash. So, in that case, I'm gonna get teh minis
                Last edited by Guest; 04-17-2008, 01:07 PM. Reason: forgot stuff to say

Comment

I read that too but if they are a 3ohm coil... they are a 3ohm coil. I think the 2000 ones use a 1.5ohm coil maybe.

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

yeah - did not make much sense. If you look at the Z1 site for the Dyna 2000 kit http://z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1981 they show the gray coils.

All too sophisticated for me.

Comment

gday mate, with the dyna, check the instructions, on the older gsx, you have mechanical advance, regards.

Comment

So if I have one of these do I have the mechanical advance???

--Thanks

Comment

Yep, that's a mechanical advance. Electronic just has a little rotor and the pickups.

Comment

gday mates, just a quick byeword to this, you can use a 3ohm, andrews coil, with your dyna, suzuki mechanical advance, and they work a treat, regards.

Comment

According to APE racing, if you're using stock ignition or Dyna S...use the green 3 ohm coils.

But if you use the Dyna 2000...use the 2.2 ohm coil (grey coils).

Here's the link http://gszone.biz/igpage4.html

Comment

Working...
                              X