GS450 overbore? real quick question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 overbore? real quick question...

my online research suggets that my gs450 has the same cylinder stroke as the later gs500 twin. What I'm not sure about is the compatibility of gs 500 pistons and a gs450 head. Can I just bore out my jugs and press in 500 sleeves then drop in the bigger pistons? It can't be that simple, it never is....

GS450 overbore

I can't say that it can't be done, but the question is; Is it worth the effort and expense? For 50cc worth of performance increase... I wouldn't do it. You'd sacrifice reliability most likely. The distance between the pistons would be narrowed and the area would get hotter. The pre-83 CB650 motors which were just overbored 550s had heat related problems for the same reason. I might try to wedge a GS500 engine in the GS450 frame. I think the 450's twin shocks and drum brake are better than the 500's disc and monoshock - lower maintenance anyway.

Comment

bump. Any thoughts?

Comment

Years ago we did a really big 450. I believe it was as big as you could go. It ran good then broke the crank. Crank is just not strong enough for max power.

Jay
        Speed Merchant
        http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Working...
        X