gsxr swap pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gsxr swap pictures

I know their are posts all over here asking about compatability and what will or won't fix. can the people who have done it put up pictures and maybe even what models parts they used. i have yet to see a picture and am starting to wonder how it will look. thanks in advance.

The front fork is a '95 GSXR unit held with a Honda CBR954 triple clamp. Wheels and brakes are '89 GSXR 750. The swingarm is stock with a Works Performance shock. Front rotors are PFM ductile iron floaters. Clipons came off of a Ducati. Headlight brackets can be tough. I ended up putting out $180 for a set. I don't think I paid that much for the fork.

Comment

Billy, what exhaust are you running? I know it's a yoshi can, but what header?

Greg
      Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2008, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaat's a cool bike!
        -KR

Comment

was the 89 wheel a bolton on the 95 forks?

Comment

Originally posted by Bottle_Fed View Post
            Billy, what exhaust are you running? I know it's a yoshi can, but what header?

Greg
            Yosh stainless Duplex from and oil cooled Gixxer.

Comment

Originally posted by Astroman View Post
              was the 89 wheel a bolton on the 95 forks?
              Anything '95 and older can be pretty much mix and match. The SRAD bikes after that need SRAD wheels and such.

Comment

The only thing on your bike that makes it look cobbled is the color of the front fender. Kinda like a blue hood on a red 4 door sedan. Other than that, it seems as if you've carefully finished your homework assignment, and got an A for the final exam.

Comment

Midway through my project, my bike looks like this. 2004 GSXR 1000 front end, 2005/2006 GSXR rear end with monoshock conversion. Needs paint, a new pipe and a motor rebuild...recently acquired a cut down seat to replace the stocker, not shown.

Comment

Here are a couple pics of my Ole Girl: she is an 82 GS1100EZ \\/ 80,000+ plus and still rolling!

and another...

Everything up front was straight bolt up. (steering head bearings were the same part number, even!) The rear needed a bit of modding, but not much; I had the gsxr sprocket carrier milled down 1/2", and inserted an 1/8" spacer behingd the counter sprocket to line things up right. But, you can have a 5/8" offset sprocket made, and leave the sprocket carrier alone. I have since decided to get an offset sprocket, and have purchased another sprocket gsxr carrier. Forks have the full Racetech treatment (emulators and 1kg springs), and even the 20 year old stock gsxr 4 piston brakes up front are a VAST improvement ovet the stock GS brakes.

Still need to work on a better mount for the stock gauges, but I cobbled something, and they are securely in place, so it is no rush...

OH, and that is a MAC 4 into 1 header, a custom midpipe, and a Holeshot can for a Bandit 1200.
                    If you want to retain the stock swing arm, you'll have to have a bracket welded to the under side of the swing arm to mount the brake torque arm, as the gsxr calipers hang upside down on the rear.

I did a 530 chain conversion; the forks, front brakes, and rear brake caliper are from an
                    '88 gsxr1100, and the rims are off an '87 gsxr1100.
                    Last edited by Cassius086; 05-04-2008, 05:14 PM.
                    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
                      The only thing on your bike that makes it look cobbled is the color of the front fender. Kinda like a blue hood on a red 4 door sedan. Other than that, it seems as if you've carefully finished your homework assignment, and got an A for the final exam.
                      The whole thing actually needs painting. I just picked up an '86 GSXR 750 that will need painting maybe this winter. I'll use like colors on them both and save a few bucks on paint. I'll do basically stock schemes on them both.

Comment

litshot,
                        Here is what I'm working on: It's an '84 GS1150ES (US spec) and I'm going for a daily driver, so it needs to be as maintenance free as a stock bike. '89 gsxr complete front end, and the rear wheel, too. With the help from some guys on this site and oldskoolsuzuki I'll be fitting the brakes to the rear wheel sometime this week.

Things that were convenient: The triple bolted right up, and the rear wheel has the correct axle diameter as well as not being too big for the swing arm. With these bases covered whatever other mods I need, they'll be managable.

Problems: I pieced the front end together ... should have just picked one up that was complete from the triples on down. Also, had to custom make a spacer for the front axle and did some part swappin' to keep the speedo. At the rear I'm going to spread the swing arm out a bit to get the rear wheel in, but from what I've been told it's just a snug fit and go ahead and squeeze the wheel on in.
                        With the front I decided to go with the stock 1150 clip-ons, this meant that I had to have the clip-ons machined out 2mm and sacrifice a bit of ground-clearence as the forks have to be high enough out of the top clamp to slide the clip-ons ... er ... 'on' to. 8-[ No biggie. BUT, I had a hard time sourcing the longer braided steel lines for the front brakes b/c the 1150 clip-ons made the distance from the front calipers longer than the distance that the GSXR clip-ons would have provided; ended up getting a set from Russell and they look good and they've got to be better than stock.
                        To do: Battery, 520 or 530 chain/sprocket conversion, rebuild the front brake master cylinder, line up rear wheel and get the rear caliper mounted and run the brake line. Then we'll see if it was worth it.

Here are some pics...pardon the filth, it's been stored at my buddy's shop for a few months.

Comment

Some more pics as I don't know how to multi-post photos, yet.

BTW: Billy Ricks is the guy who gave me some great info on the rear gixxer wheel...thanks again BR!

-KR

Comment

There are more, but I don't want to bore anyone as it's a work in progress. The stock plastic is going back on.

Comment

My '83 katana has a 1989 gsxr 750 front end, straight bolt on, no other mods done. Those fronts are a little short, but I'm not carving corners with this thing so it's fine for what I use it for, daily driver and dragracing!
                              The rear wheel is from the same 1989 gsxr 750, a 4.5x17", I run a 160mm tire. I had to make one spacer, and trim the bracing inside the swingarm a little.

On my 1981 GS1100E, (this will also be mostly for dragstrip duty, a little street use.) I used a 1998 gsxr 750 SRAD front end. Not quite a bolt on, I had the steering stem from the '81 put into the gsxr lower tree. The gsxr front end was shortened internally (it's a dragbike!) but before it was shortened the height looked not bad.
                              The swingarm is a custom TRAC Dynamics arm, 10" over, and I am running a 17" x 6" hayabusa rear wheel, with a 190mm tire. It has a 5/8" offset front sprocket, and I still need to modify the inside of the frame on the right side for chain clearance.

Comment

Working...
                              X