Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kawasaki Twinpot Brake Modification - who wants parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well if so then I will gladly take a set. count me in.

Comment

Did someone say stoppies??? Signing up.

Comment

Salty,

Will these work on an 82 1100E? I need a new set of rotors anyway, I might as well upgrade the stopping at the same time.

If they fit, I am in for one set.

Thanks,
        Mark

Comment

1980 Gs550e

I have a 1980 GS550E with a single front rotor. Would this upgrade work well doing it just on the one side? If so, count me in to.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
            Yes, they do make a right and a left caliper.
            No, a right side caliper will not work on the left side.
            (You have to be able to bleed it after all.)

If you are attempting to put this on a single disk bike, my adapter set up won't work. The upper mounting lug will be too high. You can still make an adapter, but it will have to be able to relocate the upper mount as well. Not just the lower.
            Just answered my question reading the original thread.

Comment

It will work for one side but I'm pretty sure you'd have to either switch out to the dual caliper fork leg on that side or it would require you to "tweak" the mounting holes or even an entirely different bracket....

If someone can measure up a 550 fork leg for me (mainly distance from centre of the axle to centre of the mounting holes) I may be able to work out the difference.....

If it needs a completely different bracket I *may* be able to get some made at the same time.

It *should* work on the 1100/1150 as their disk is the same size & the caliper appears to be the same one as on my 80GS100G. Again, give me the Axle to mounting hole distance.

If I get them & it doesn't work out for people then I will refund minus postage on return. (to minimise your risk).

Thinking about it... I will try to measure up what I have here that I know works... & then perhaps people can feed back the info to me so we can see what we can figure out.

Dan
              Last edited by salty_monk; 05-14-2008, 08:49 PM.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

NICE job on a well designed and executed product! The info re: calipers and discs is excellent and helpful as well. If they'll work on my GK, please count me in for a set.
                Thanks,
                Willie
                Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  It *should* work on the 1100/1150 as their disk is the same size & the caliper appears to be the same one as on my 80GS100G. Again, give me the Axle to mounting hole distance.
                  Bike is an 82 1100E, all dimensions were taken in a couple of minutes in a dark corner of my garage. So take them as good approximations instead of absolutes...:-D

From center of axle to center of lower mounting hole is about 76mm, about 65mm if you measure along the centerline of the fork slider.

The caliper mounting bolts are about 73mm CtoC.

Stock rotor is approximately 275mm OD.

Am I in or not?\\/

Mark

Comment

It sounds like it! I will try to double check later today.

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

It sounds like it! I will try to double check later today.

Dan
                      I managed to get out in the garage in daylight and re-measured my dimensions.

Axle to lower caliper mounting bolt - 75mm CtoC
                      Axle to lower caliper bolt, along fork slider axis - 65mm
                      Mounting bolts - 73mm CtoC

These are pretty accurate and should be useful for your confirmation.

Mark

Comment

Sounds the same to me taking into account I just did this roughly with a tape... That's 72, 68 & 140. The distance from centre of the bolt to edge of the fork leg is about 12mm

Dan
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Sounds the same to me taking into account I just did this roughly with a tape... That's 72, 68 & 140. The distance from centre of the bolt to edge of the fork leg is about 12mm

Dan
                          That definitely sounds the same. Suzuki is not likely to have two different fork sliders that differ by 1-2mm.

So I'm in for a set, too.:-D

Mark

Comment

Added a poll to help me keep count.

Talking with my colleague I think we might do some kind of brush or polish finish & I also hope to supply complete with the correct size bolts & washers etc.
                            The bolts cost me at least a buck each incl washers, 2 nuts etc & I could only find 50mm.

I added a Poll to try to help keep track of numbers.

Dan
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

would these fit my little 400? if so where do sign up?mine only has a single disk and i would like to stop when i want. any improvement would be awesome.

Comment

Measure your disk & fork leg & have a look at the measurements I posted above.... I believe the smaller models used the 276mm disk the same as the duals disk bikes so the likely answer is yes.

Dan
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                                X