Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

another broad gixxer front end question from a newbie. sorry guys.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another broad gixxer front end question from a newbie. sorry guys.

85. gs700e stock.

im very much interested in doing the swap. am i to understand that pretty much any gsxr front end will work? am i able to retain my gs700 front wheel and still utilize the gsxr braking system? what should i look for/avoid at the junkyard? how much should i expect the spend? any tips or advise?

thanks. -sam.

Dont know if any GSXR front end will work but I hear that the 93-95 front end from a 750 or 1100 is a good choice. I have heard that the 1100 is a bit longer than the 750 forks is a better choice if you can find it. I went with the 750 since they are a bit narrower and clears my fairing better on my GS1100esd.

Ebay is a good resource but you cant inspect the parts prior to purchase which is a bummer. I got lucky with mine! Good Luck!

Comment

You want coventional or usd style fork tubes? Conventional style GSX 600 F (Katana) parts work great on these and are easy to install. The entire front fork assembly fits. It's what I have on my 750. The 17 inch front wheel is what you want, much lighter and can use modern radial tires, they rock!
      Last edited by kingofvenus; 05-14-2008, 10:04 PM.
      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

conventional? usd? sorry to be a little slow but i have no idea what you mean by saying that. i thought my 700 has radial tires on it already! i love my 700 wheels, can i keep them if i do this swap? i have checked ebay but cant justify spending $50 just to ship it when i can go to a junkyard and pull one myself. i hate how big and bulky my stock set up is (more a fan of cafe than cruiser)... i just love how this bike it set up so im trying to model ideas from it (since its the same bike as mine.)

Comment

Conventional forks style is what most all older GS bikes have including yours. skinny Tubes are up and the fat part of the forks are on the bottom.

USD for style means: Up Side Down where the big end is on tip and the skinny fork tubes are on the bottom.

The 700e in the picture has the USD forks. it also has the late 90's style GSXR rims. I dont know you can use your stock rims in the newer forks. My guess is no.

Comment

Actually those are '89 to '95 wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by kichigai View Post
              Conventional forks style is what most all older GS bikes have including yours. skinny Tubes are up and the fat part of the forks are on the bottom.

USD for style means: Up Side Down where the big end is on tip and the skinny fork tubes are on the bottom.

The 700e in the picture has the USD forks. it also has the late 90's style GSXR rims. I dont know you can use your stock rims in the newer forks. My guess is no.
              The wheels on my bike are '89 GSXR750. I put about 60 hours of work into polishing them up.

The stock front wheel on the 700 would be tough to utilize. The bearings are too small and there is no bearing to use that will help adapt the 700 wheels to a newer fork. If you want stock looking wheels use the '86 and '87 GSXR1100 wheels. They are 18" wheels though, not the prized 17" wheels. And you don't have radials on your 700. The rims are too narrow to fit radials.

Comment

I gave some bad info on the '86 GSXR front wheel. The '86 and '87 750 and the '86-'88 1100 used the same small diameter axle as the 700 so using that wheel with a later fork is out. There is no way to account for bearing differences. I originally thought the first generation GSXR had hollow axles up front but was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                X