No announcement yet.

does anybody have any info on using a GSXR frontend/swingarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My front end is 5cm (2") lower after my conversion.
    It's not just the length of the front end, the 17" wheel lowers the front too.
    You can keep your handlebars if you weld risers to the top yoke.

Comment

That is just what I did to mine. 5.5" rear 3.5" front. The GSXR 1100 forks are longer. For the steering stop drilled and tapped the the lower tripple clamp and put in some bolts. Don't use clip ons though they just won't look right.
      You don't need to weld on risers. Just get some off a dirt bike that bolt on. Drill holes in your top clamp and bolt them on.

Comment

How does all this apply to a '83 750 Katana? I would love to do this.
        Also, what kind of engines would fit my chassis? 19?? GSX-R, later Katana's, etc.?

Comment

Cowboy Don, in answer to your question Yes yes yes and yes there are some compromises in volved in fitting later GSXR engines but it is all decided by how much work you are willing to put in. the GSXR engine is shorter front to back than a GS engine, so it comes down to where you want the weight to sit and whether you are willing to put up with a lot of chain slop.
          Dink

Comment

Tim, (HiSPL)

I, too have an 81 GS750E. I am considering doing some mods to mine involving GSXR swaps. Have you done these mods to your bike? Would like to update suspension, and brakes, drop some weight, etc. Engine runs great with 34,000+ miles...can't afford a new Bandit for awhile, so I thought I'd customize the ole GS. Any swaps I should steer away from? What do you recommend...do any particular model year GSXRs work better/more easily than others? Thanks in advance for any advice!! Ride safe.

Comment

Sorry, I've been away for quite some time. I was heavily involved in another hobby (speaker building) and was quite consumed with that project.
              To answer your question, I'm afraid I don't have the info your looking for. For I have bought myself an 83 GS1100E and will be modding that instead and selling my 750. I was going to go with a gixxer inverted front and mono rear. Laverda Jota h-bars, dual 5.5 inch headlights (ala triumph speed triple), 5.5 inch rear wheel, 3.5 inch front. one big tachometer and a bc800 speedo, all electronics hidden under the seat/cowl, LED turn and brake lights.
              As far as getting lighter you can drop the center stand.....Thats about all I got...

Comment

Thanks, Tim...Yeah, I thought of mounting a set of early gixxer dual headlights on the GS as well. Have located all the stuff I need for the swap, now I cash need to part with the cash. Found swing arm, front and rear calipers/brackets to mount them, front forks, rear rim with hub and axle, the clip on handle bars/master cylinder, yada, yada,yada....let the games begin!!!!

Mike

Comment

EC,
                  Just avoid the '88 GSX-R front end. It seems to have been the shortest ever used. An 1100 front end would be the best choice since it will have slightly heavier springs. Other than that any year should fit.

Comment

Thanks, Billy!! I was looking at an 88 for the front forks, too. Your warning came just in time.

Mike

Comment

Hi to all!
                      I'm a newbie, I'm italian and I own a '83 GSX750ES , modified with Bitubo rear suspension, WP fork springs, areounatical brake cable, Monster handbar , headlight and flyscreen, custom made vtr tail with Honda VTR seat and MCJ variable sound silencer with modified 4-1-2collectors.

Now I found the frame of a GSXR1100 with forks, swing arm, tail and fuel tank at a very low price, I'd like to know if it's possible to fit the swingarm on my byke using my Bitubo mono.

Someone have any idea or suggestion?

Thanks to all and excuse me for my terrible english!

Comment

If it of any help, I just put a 1986 GSXR front end on my 1981 GS550T. The only mods that I did were to grind off the lock tab on the frame as it was now useless and then do the same with the steering lock tab on the new front end. Then I welded on new tabs to suit the 550. Lockhart Phillips and others make headlight brackets to remount your headlight. I stuck with the 1986 front end as it still had 18" wheels and I wanted the bike to still look period but handle a lot better. I caan't give you any info on improvements as I am just starting to rebuild the engine thus haven't ridden it yet.

Comment

Having spent all of 15 minutes today bolting on a complete GSXR750K front end onto my '78 GS1000, I have to say that it is the easiest mod. I've ever done. Looks awesome and saves about 1/2 a ton of weight. The top yoke is already drilled ready for some risers and flat bars, and I'll just have to sort out the lock tabs and thats it.
                          Yes, it does sit about 2 inches lower than stock. Not a problem though, as I've also got the GSXR750K complete back end to go in....but first, its going to get a twin-shock conversion and a stretch job to lengthen the wheelbase by 4 to 6 inches. Street/strip 'old skool kool' to annoy Fireblade and R1 riders away from the lights!!!

Comment

Having spent all of 15 minutes today bolting on a complete GSXR750K front end onto my '78 GS1000, I have to say that it is the easiest mod. I've ever done. Looks awesome and saves about 1/2 a ton of weight. The top yoke is already drilled ready for some risers and flat bars, and I'll just have to sort out the lock tabs and thats it.
                            Yes, it does sit about 2 inches lower than stock. Not a problem though, as I've also got the GSXR750K complete back end to go in....but first, its going to get a twin-shock conversion and a stretch job to lengthen the wheelbase by 4 to 6 inches. Street/strip 'old skool kool' to annoy Fireblade and R1 riders away from the lights!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X