Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about brakes!! Caliper Trouble!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about brakes!! Caliper Trouble!

So I have a '77 gs 750 and I'm pretty sure I need to rebuild both the front and rear caliper.

My questions are:

Are there kits available for such a project and where'd be the best place to find them?

Or...

What aftermarket, or more up-to-date calipers could I swap them with?

Where can I find a good selection of new pads and rotors for my bike?

I would prefer to do a swap with something newer... since having good brakes is quite paramount! But, if it's not worth-while to do a swap (no real performance difference) Then I guess I'll just do a rebuild.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.z1enterprises.com and/or www.bikebandit.com would have them.

Comment

You can put kawasaki twinpots on the front if you switch to the dual caliper type fork legs...

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Order the OEM caliper rebuild kits from your favorite source for Suzuki parts -- the aftermarket stuff is expensive, incomplete crap, IMnsHO.

The Suzuki kits include a new piston, whereas the aftermarket kits cost more and usually only include bad imitations of the rubber bits (some of the M/C kits do contain a bad imitation of the stock piston, to be fair).

As far as pads, most modern pads feel exactly the same. Take yer pick.

However, I've noticed that Vesrah pads seem to have just a bit more bite, so that's what I usually use.

You can get Vesrah pads from CRC2, DennisKirk, or, oddly enough, RepairManuals.com. All are excellent vendors.

CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …

http://denniskirk.com <== low or no stock on later model GS brake pads when I checked yesterday for my bike. YMMV.

http://repairmanual.com <== best price -- search for the manual for your bike, and the available brake pads, oil filter, etc. for your bike will show up in the list.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Kool! Thanks bwringer!
          Yeah, I've checked out alot of the sites you've mentioned, but I tend to find them hard to navigate for parts for my bike. Whenever I put my model and year info into their parts searches I always get a limited selection of parts if at all! But I'll definitely keep looking!

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          You can put kawasaki twinpots on the front if you switch to the dual caliper type fork legs...
          Yeah I saw your post on the Kaw Swaps. Looks pretty interesting!
          Right now I only have the single fork w/caliper mounts. What's the story with those brackets you're building? Are they necessary for mounting the Kaw Calipers or just a certain type?

Thanks a bunch fellas!

Comment

Necessary to mount those calipers to the stock dual caliper leg... You'd have to switch fork legs.
            Even a switch to duals as stock would likely be an upgrade for you... you could leave the bigger disk on one side & fit a later leg to the other side with the smaller disk....

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
            X