Need help with a 78 1000e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with a 78 1000e

I have been dealing with some issues with my GS. Anywhere about 2000 rpm all the way too 6000 when you cruise with STEADY throttle it will cough sputter spit miss and pop. It does NOT run good while cruising. Accelerating is AWESOME, decel has minimal popping and is not too bad. I have a RC eng exhaust with no baffle (i want one but i got it without one) and K N Pod filters. I have the needles as rich as they go. I am not sure of the pilots off hand, but i am looking for some base numbers. I feel its the pilots and a synch being off for whats causing the popping rough running. Other than that any help would be GREAT. Someone who has some base numbers would be AWESOME! THanks for any help! I tried searching but found only with stock airbox mod. etc.

For the best and easiest results, I'd recommend getting a Dynojet stage 3 kit for your carbs. Many around here have tried to jet that combo themselves but the best end result comes from the jet kit. I have one myself and the bike revs flawlessly through the rev range.

Comment

My ,79 1000 runs well with 112.5 main, needle clip on the second from the bottom clip position, stock pilot jet. - live at over 5,000 ft. And only ride uphill from there so may be similar to your jetting requirements in Utah. RC pipe with a baffle, K+N pods. Didn't run well with 115 mains.
      What do your plugs look like after a low throttle run?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It sounds exactly as if your stock float needles have a groove worn in them. To check: take your float bowls off, press the float pin out and take the float(s) off, the little needle that is looped over the float prong might come out with the float, if not pull it out. Notice on the needle end there will be a little ring (a wear mark) around the pointed needle. If you can measure that wear (feel it by dragging your fingernail backwards across the wear mark) then this is the problem. Float needles are a little pricey,,,but if you have a connection ... there you go.

Comment

My plugs are BLACK after a low throttle run but that is just because i richened the needles up all the way. To rich! The needles DO NOT have the groove worn in them i checked already. What are some baseline settings for the fuel or air screws?

Comment

Originally posted by rjsmoyer View Post
            My plugs are BLACK after a low throttle run but that is just because i richened the needles up all the way. To rich! The needles DO NOT have the groove worn in them i checked already. What are some baseline settings for the fuel or air screws?
            If the pilot jets are in the right area for size, the mixture screws will be 1.0 to 2.5 turns out from seated. The bike is running rough in the midrange because the needles are too rich. The mains are probably ok since it accellerates cleanly. If the needles AREN'T adjustable you need to get adjustable needles. Good luck, you AREN'T very far off. Ray.

Comment

Ok i put the needles 3 up from the bottom (i had them on the bottom before) it runs a little cleaner. Yet it still sputters and coughs when cruising at any speed say 30mph 3000 rpm top gear. It will sputter and not run smooth. When idling it coughs every once in a while, and when cruising and then opening the throttle all the way wide it will accelerate and go but cough or miss just a hair. I AM SO SICK OF THIS BIKE! WTF does anyone else have any help? Its for sale if someone wants to come pick it up!

Comment

Is it timed correctly? Point gap set? Plugs Ok?
                Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2008, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rjsmoyer View Post
                  Its for sale if someone wants to come pick it up!
                  How much?
                  Got a pic?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I am in Jacksonville, Fl Yes the timing is set, the points aren't off because it has some weird aftermarket CDI ignition. I took the ignition cover off to check the points and there was a solid state black coil under there. I am asking 2k for it. Super low miles and its mint with the exception of the mid range lol

Comment

Working...
                    X