Car Tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Tire

Been doing some reading on folk using a 195/60-16 Car Tire on the rear of their cruisers.
    From what I've read so far, it seems to work just fine. Should I even be thinking about the "Dark Side"?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Right side up version of the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay3ZVmORDl4

I would have thought it makes it turn even worse that a cruiser does as stock... I have an Intruder at the moment with Avons on it & there is a very definite profile even though the rear tyre is fat...

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Car tires are probably a lot harder than bike tires and don't grip as well. If you're powering out of a turn and lose traction it could be a sad day. Just something to consider

Comment

And when in a turn, as the tire's contact patch goes from being many inches wide to about one, and the rear wheel spins up effortlessly, allowing the back of the bike to step out so far you no longer need a rear view mirror to see the road behind you, you may ask yourself, "Self, why did this seem to be such a good idea at the time?"

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
          Car tires are probably a lot harder than bike tires and don't grip as well. If you're powering out of a turn and lose traction it could be a sad day. Just something to consider
          I'm sure that depends on the car tire.

but yeah, contact patch in a turn will be... small.

Comment

not to mention what it is going to do to the frame and the frame geometry when you try to lean into a turn and it resist so you push harder and harder and it suddenly pops over and the frame unloads.

VERY scary!!

you can feel the differance clearly when you take off a old squared off motorcycle tire and put a new one on.

on a cruiser that goes from one bar to the next it might be ok, but if you like to hit the twisties and get a bit agressive you will be in a world of hurt pretty quick.

Comment

Guess I'll be staying with the original plan ...Dunlop Elite III

Comment

You might want to check with your insurance company first cause if you caused an accident it might be used against you.

Plus I'd like to see a vid of them in the rain going around a curve ????????
                1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

A local guy runs one on his bike. He rides it on the street mostly, but drag races it too.. He must be too cheap to bother swapping wheels. He has a Harley FXDGHERNBRFYTESGGDHDDPGB something or other, so it probably doesn't turn worth damn anyway. It only has to turn four ways -
                  in & out of the bar
                  in & out of the service dept

Comment

Stay away from the car-tire! Bad, bad idea!! There is a guy who comes into the shop I work at that has a VS1400 (or 1500?) Intruder with a small car-tire on it. I don't think I ever rode a more dangerous handling bike. The thing did not want to turn corners. At real slow speeds it's sort of rideable, but at any speed the thing was really nasty!

Comment

Originally posted by cberkeley View Post
                      Been doing some reading on folk using a 195/60-16 Car Tire on the rear of their cruisers.
                      From what I've read so far, it seems to work just fine. Should I even be thinking about the "Dark Side"?
                      Think about it all you want. Do it if you want. I am sure that there are a bunch of cruisers that use them, but I know there are many Wings and Valkyries that do, too. There is a slightly different feel to the bike in corners because the support point on the rear wheel is now a little more inboard, but Darksiders say that you get used to it in about 20 minutes or so of riding.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X