Pano's Suspension Parts List Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pano's Suspension Parts List Request

Pano asked if I could provide a short build list of the components I used for my suspension.

First here's close to the final product however things can always change:

The complete front end including forks, wheel, fender, upper and lower tripple, brakes, and disks comes from a 95 GSXR1100. The 1100s have 30.5" tall KYB USD forks while the GSXR750 have the better but shorter Showa front ends. The 93,94 and 96 GSXR1100 forks may be the same thing but do some research. The head bearings are a perfect swap. I put in new ones just to start clean. In fact bolting up the forks is the easy part. Getting the risers, gauges, ignition and headlight mounted takes a little thought and planning. I wanted to stay close to a stock look so you have to look twice to be sure what your seeing. See also http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...=111868&page=2

I used the GSXR top tripple and drilled it for the risers. The risers I got on Ebay. I don't think the store still sells them but I think there are others like these expensive alternatives http://www.streetfighterstore.co.uk/...e_+_risers/349 . I suggest doing a google search for "GSXR stunt risers".
    The headlight brackets come from Lockhart Phillips , Page 164-165 in their 07 catalog, part number 400-12253 $51.95.

The swingarm is from a 98 Bandit 1200. Brass bushings were fabbed to adapt the 20mm Bandit swingarm to the 16mm GS swingarm pivot bolt per Katman's design see http://www.robwilton.com/xtech.html Rob's the man!!

Once you have the bushings and shock mounts installed it bolts right up. I threw in all new stock Bandit pivot bearings and stock GS shock bushings, again for a fresh start.

I followed Rob's original location for the shock mount hole directly above the vertical weld. . If I was going to stick with GS length shocks I might have moved that location forward by 1/2". I'm going to some 1.25" taller Ohlin's shocks and the more rearward postion I'm at now should work well.

Unless you are an accomplished machinist/welder your going to need some expert help with this part. Rob does sell the bushings on his site. Cost me $200 for the rear shock mounts to be fabbed and welded. See also http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=120364 for specifics on how to deal with getting a chain guard mounted. It took a while to figure that part out.

The rear wheel is from a 96 RF900. It's 170 wide. I'm running Bridgestone BT-021's but the Michelin Pilot Road 2s might be nice also. The chain and sprockets are 530 pitch. The chain is 116 links long. The rear sprocket is turned around and mounted backwards to reduce width. The rear hub is stock GS1100, which again reduces width. The front sprocket is 3/8" offset which eliminates need to notch frame which was important to me. The gearing is stock GS which I think is 16/45 however, with the 17" wheels your stock speedo will read 10% optimistic ie 50 on the speedo is actually 45.

The rear caliper and axle bolt are both Bandit 1200 items. I can't remember the exact origin of the rear axle spacers, I think its stock Bandit set up with a couple extra washers from the hardware store between the hub and the swingarm. The RF900 wheel is just slightly narrower than the Bandit. I did use the rubber Bandit chain slider that protects the swingarm from the chain bouncing. You have to hog out some of the rubber to make it fit the GS frame and it won't be perfectly aligned but you can make it work.

The rear sets and rear brake resevoir and master cylinder are from a 2000 ZX12R (see also http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...=117542&page=2) . The brake stay arm and rear caliper is stock Bandit. The muffler hanger is just some bent stainless sheet that attaches to the rear sets under the heel guard mounting screws.

Let me know if I missed something your interested in. By the way not everyone knows this but if your left click a member's name at the top left of the thread your can search all posts by that member. You can do it through the search function also but the first way is a short cut. I only say this because there are probably other details and discussions in threads I haven't referenced

Last edited by isleoman; 05-31-2008, 05:47 PM.

See also:

Comment

Thank you Isleoman!

I am sure others will appreciate the condensed info.

Pano
      1982 GS1000S Katana
      1982 GS1100E

Comment

one observation. you have no cotter pin in your rear axle nut.

Comment

Originally posted by catbed View Post
          one observation. you have no cotter pin in your rear axle nut.
          Good Eye Catbed , Thanks

Don't get me wrong I don't advocate doing without, its certainly cheap insurance however, my FZ1 came stock with no cotter pin and 70K miles later nothing bad has happened to me or anyone on the FZ1 site. So I've been lazy.

Now that you've raised the issue though I'll probably put one in just to eliminate the potential irony if something bad were to happened, now that you've warned me.

Kinda weird huh, that I fear the irony more than the potential of something bad happening.

Two flat spots on the Bandit axle bolt head engage with the adjuster on the brake side and the axel can't spin on its own due to the rotation of the spinning tire, like the GS can. So I think there's less potential of it coming loose.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
            Good Eye Catbed , Thanks
            Kinda weird huh, that I fear the irony more than the potential of something bad happening.
            Not weird, that is experience talking. Once Murphy has bit you a few times you learn to respect him. And nothing stings as bad as getting bit by something you shot your mouth off about, then had it get you back...:-D

Mark

Comment

Isleoman,

Probably a weird question but what mirrors are you using? I have a set of Emgo mirrors on my GS1000 like these:

and usually all I can see are my shoulders. If I lean left or right I can see what's behind me but that gets tricky in the curves. The mirrors on yours look like the have a higher rise and offset than mine. Can you tell me where you got them/part numbers/etc..?

Thanks!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Diamondj View Post
                Isleoman,

Probably a weird question but what mirrors are you using? I have a set of Emgo mirrors on my GS1000 like these:

and usually all I can see are my shoulders. If I lean left or right I can see what's behind me but that gets tricky in the curves. The mirrors on yours look like the have a higher rise and offset than mine. Can you tell me where you got them/part numbers/etc..?

Thanks!

Jim
                Jim, those are stock 82 GS1100ez mirrors and if you saw them up close you would believe me, they show their 103K miles. My wife has been trying to get me to buy new ones for several years.

I've been looking at Dale Walker's site. He sells two versions of the Napoleon mirrors. One set is high (long stem) like the stock GS and the other type are lower (short stem) but the mirror part both look like stock GS. Look under accesories http://www.holeshot.com/

I can see clearly out of the stock GS mirrors. Hope that helps You can also do a google for napoleon mirrors there are other sellers, but Walker does a good job of identifying exactly what your going to get.

Comment

Working...
                X