Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

81 GS650GL Comfort mod / performance mod (handling)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS650GL Comfort mod / performance mod (handling)

I found the original turned-back handlebars on my '81 GS650GLX to be very uncomfortable on the wrists and forearms.

I installed bars from (I believe) a GS-G model. They are much straighter (meaning that the grips are nearly in a straight line) and I believe not as tall.

Has anyone else found this to be the case also?
    Discomfort with the GL bars?
    More comfort with the G bars?

I believe that the bike looks much better this way also.

It definitely seems to allow me to handle the bike with better control.

The bars it came with are the worst part of the "L"adies model.
    Terrible to try to steer, very uncomfortable. Rode one the other day, couldn't believe how uncontrollable it felt.

Most seem to go with something like superbike bars or stock GS "E" bars, or maybe "E" bars from a smaller bike, to get a little bit lower.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Maybe it's 'E' bars that I have now? I picked them up at a parts yard. All I could tell is that they are Suzuki bars, and based on stock pics in my Suzuki shop manual, they look like G bars.

And, yeah, this being only my second bike...getting accustomed to it with the stock bars...practicing circs and figure-8s, and taking my road test...and after a few rides of an hour I knew they had to GO. Awful handling.

What was Suzi trying to do with them??? Get that quasi-monkeybar look and feel? Seems to me that the G - GL models are not true cruisers anyway...not the typical American style with the footpegs way out front and all.

Comment

Originally posted by BP_redbear View Post
        Get that quasi-monkeybar look and feel? Seems to me that the G - GL models are not true cruisers anyway...not the typical American style with the footpegs way out front and all.
        Yeah, the monkeybars thing. Silly, huh.
        Don't think any of the "cruisers" are any good long distance, just too hard to ride that way.
        G and E models are as good all day long as anything. "L" are not.

Look in the gallery, several of the "L"s have the stock bars still, several have replaced them with normal ones.
        Last edited by tkent02; 06-13-2008, 10:42 PM.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I only rode my gs750L for three days before I decided that the bars had to go. it's the straight back thing that sucks. You basically have to turn your wrists out to hold on to it, which makes the throttle a pain in the a** to hold on to...

Comment

I rode Steve's wife's 850L. Its set up for her keep in mind, and Im a might bit taller than she, but i dont know how anyone could possible steer a bike with the bar line INSIDE your armpit/shoulder line...weird..

Comment

L bars

Wow. You guys are really making me think twice. I just bought an '85 550L that has some salvaged dirt-bike bars on it. I have been looking for some L-type bars. Mostly for aesthetics. Sounds like the original L-bars are crippling to ride with.
              Which standard shape (E or G) bars would fit my GS550LF? It seems that Suzuki changes part numbers every model and year for parts that appear identical.

Thanks,
              Eric -- definitely still a noob

Comment

I believe any of the Suzuki GS bars would physically fit (diameter of the bars is the critical point, obviously). If the ones that you have are comfortable, don't switch them.

I, personally, am more comfortable with bars that are not too tall, and where the grips are close to being in a straight line with each other.

81 GS650GLX

The bars that were on it when I bought it were tall and swept back, uncomfy on my wrists and forearms (see first post).

Give us an update when/if you change them.

BP
                Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2008, 07:50 PM. Reason: sucky typing skills

Comment

I own an 80 L model and had to take the bars off for the same reasons, no control and poor wrist position.I am currently using the stock bars off of my 74 Honda CB500, but that bike is being sold so I am going to try out some dragbars on it and see how they feel.If those don't work I might try some superbike bars.Just my .02

Comment

Thanks to all for the food for thought. I'll shop around and let you know what I end up with. The swept back look fits with the rest of the 'L styling, but it's got to be functional, safe, and comfortable.
                    Eric

Comment

My understanding is that a G bar will fit an GL without having to buy shorter cables. E bars on the G models can work with stock cables, but require that the cables be re-rerouted.

I was looking for a clean set of G bars, but haven't looked very hard.

Comment

I have a 80 750L and the bars suck a$$. I put on a bar that has about a 4" rise and there are just a little angle to them. I was much happier with that set up. I personialy wish there was a tool to pour lead into to make the ends of the cable. When you need to shorten your cables.

Comment

Pictures please! The bars on the bikes only make real sense if we can see them!

Comment

Originally posted by cbrophy22 View Post
                            I have a 80 750L and the bars suck a$$. I put on a bar that has about a 4" rise and there are just a little angle to them. I was much happier with that set up. I personialy wish there was a tool to pour lead into to make the ends of the cable. When you need to shorten your cables.
                            There is a tool, I used to use one in a lawnmower shop. You would crimp on a new ball and then dip the cable and ball end into molten lead pot and pull it out, it worked great.

Comment

Originally posted by Narcoleptic_Snowman View Post
                              I only rode my gs750L for three days before I decided that the bars had to go. it's the straight back thing that sucks. You basically have to turn your wrists out to hold on to it, which makes the throttle a pain in the a** to hold on to...
                              I totally agree... I have a set of buckhorn bars comming.. I think they have a little better angle and still are the pullback style which I want.. will update when I get them on the difference and feel.

Comment

Working...
                              X