List of upcoming mods...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

List of upcoming mods...

With me being...well, me, I have left it alone for longer than I can stand. I will be doing some mods to my GS1100G in the next couple of weeks.

Here's the rundown.

After installing one for Mike Riddles 83 1100ED, I do believe I would like a 1/4 turn throttle sleeve. So, I ordered two, on for the G and one for the cafe. If i dont like it on the G I'll go back, but it seemed like it flat out ROCKED on his E, so i may like it.

I will also be playing with the carbs abit. After some spirited running today, I have found that it seems to hit a bit of a wall around 6k. I never really noticed before, but I didnt spend a WHOLE lot of time in and out of that range. usually time spent up there was worked up there on the highway, and stayed around there anyway. So I think its a bit lean. I will trying the shim changes in the needles that have been suggested to me by some of the board members, and I may end up taking TKents suggestions and bumping up the main one size. We'll see what happens. Its stock in the fuel/air area, so I should have to play TOO much.

I will be installing an oil cooler (all you 8v oilcooler naysayers, stuff it) It CANT do any harm, and as hot as it gets around here in the summer, it can only help. A temperature moderated engine is a happy engine, and parts last longer.

I also plan to install a headlight cut out relay, a coil relay, and possibly the headlight power relay, we'll see on that one. I can already FEEL my headlight, so I am not entire sure it really needs it.

I am also debating on installing a manual cam tensioner. I am going to pull my stock one and clean it and reinstall, and if I dont like the result, i may change. My cam chain will also be inspected too, but I dont THINK its in need, as its only got 37k on it.

I will be installing one of RenoBruces Oil Pressure gauges, thank you sir! Should come in handy

New Stainless brake lines will be in order as well, and im not sure if i will keep the splitter, or just get a longer banjo for a dual set up..anyone have an opinion on this thats done it?

I do believe its time for some new rear shocks, or getting close to time, so I am hemming and hawing on picking up some MDIs untill I can afford some REALLY nice shocks. Lots of people claim they are stiff, but im a big boy, so i think I may get some compliance out of them. They're on the cafe, and they dont seem too stiff to me.

I have a AirTech Cooley fairing to be installed as well, but before i do that...

Yes boys and girls, she will be getting PAINTED. And before you freak out, I am staying PRETTY stock. Mercedes deep metalic black, retaining the gold pinstripes. Black was the OTHER stock colour for my bike that year, so its not going radically different.

So, just some things to watch for over the next couple weeks. Should be fun

TCK

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
    New Stainless brake lines will be in order as well, and im not sure if i will keep the splitter, or just get a longer banjo for a dual set up..anyone have an opinion on this thats done it?
    Yep, go for it. I have installed two line setups on a few bikes now and will not go back to a splitter. It is so much easier to bleed that you will not believe it. Saves time, gets a nice firm lever and looks better, IMO.

Mark

Comment

I have two line setup too... makes a difference but nowhere near as much as the twin pots do.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Hey TCK, where did you get the 1/4 turn throttle for the ED? I was thinking of getting one of the R1 throttles for my 1100 but since it has a single throttle cable, I didn't think it would work. Any info would be appreciated.

Good luck on the project. After reading all I could about stainless lines here, I'm going with the twin setup on the front and ditching the splitter. It's about $60 cheaper too.

Josh

Comment

ill be watching, i wanna see how it turns out

Comment

Originally posted by ironsheik View Post
            Hey TCK, where did you get the 1/4 turn throttle for the ED? I was thinking of getting one of the R1 throttles for my 1100 but since it has a single throttle cable, I didn't think it would work. Any info would be appreciated.

Good luck on the project. After reading all I could about stainless lines here, I'm going with the twin setup on the front and ditching the splitter. It's about $60 cheaper too.

Josh
            Got them from Flat-out. They are R1 throttle sleeves. Single cable is ok. You just hook it up like you would, and there's a spare hole there. Worked just fine on Mike's bike. From what he's said, there is a bit of an adjustment period getting used to how touchy it is, but once you do, its amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              I have two line setup too... makes a difference but nowhere near as much as the twin pots do.

Dan
              i've got the dual discs on the front and DAMN do i stop. i second the twin calipers setiment.

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
                i've got the dual discs on the front and DAMN do i stop. i second the twin calipers setiment.
                Ive got dual disc as well. What Dan is talking about is the Kawi brake caliper mod. Using dual pot opposed piston calipers.

Comment

Another vote for not using a splitter.

Using dual pot opposed piston calipers.
                  Nope. They're Sliders. They do have two pistons, but they are only on the outside.

Last edited by Guest; 06-17-2008, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
                    Another vote for not using a splitter.

Nope. They're Sliders. They do have two pistons, but they are only on the outside.

Ahh I stand corrected. Somewhere along the line of reading the couple of threads going about this i got it in my head that these were opposed, and that the need for the Kawi calipers was because they were the only size opposed that would fit and not interfere with the wheel. Ahh well. Two pots is better than one in any case. This will be a mod on my list as well, but i have some other things to attend to ahead of it. I have the rotors, I'll hunt up some calipers and then its off to the races I'll probably get around to doing this the next time I change the front tire, kill two birds with one stone. Month or so, and she'll have em

Comment

Get your carbs chromed. Oh yeah and your helmet.
                      It'll be great!
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        It'll be great!
                        uhhhh... No? But thanks for playing. We have some lovely parting gifts for you :P Incidently, I am watching a couple sets of 1100 carbies on fleabay right now, maybe i can snag a set, and then I'll be sending them to you with some dollars for labor and a dynojet kit to do em up for me

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          It'll be great!
                          Speaking of which, the other day I saw some douchebag on a harley-psuedo chopper wearing a chromed German WWI helmet, complete with the spike on the top!
                          sigpic

SUZUKI:
                          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                            Speaking of which, the other day I saw some douchebag on a harley-psuedo chopper wearing a chromed German WWI helmet, complete with the spike on the top!
                            I guess if you're gonna go, might as well make it as quick and painfull as possible... I have seen these in some of the bike parts rags i get. They arent even DOT approved...go figure?? LOL

Comment

uhhhh... No? But thanks for playing. We have some lovely parting gifts for you :P Incidently, I am watching a couple sets of 1100 carbies on fleabay right now, maybe i can snag a set, and then I'll be sending them to you with some dollars for labor and a dynojet kit to do em up for me
                              Make sure that puppys tuned and I'll take care of the rest! :>]
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X