Who welds cranks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who welds cranks?

I want to get my crank shaft pins welded on my 79 GS1000. Who do we recommend welding it? Do I have a local machine shop do it or do I send it to APE? Can I weld it myself? Do I even need to get it welded.

Im putting a 1085 kit in, web cams 110 grind, lightly ported head and I want to ride the snot out of it.

gday mate, welding the pins on the crank, is a good idea , stops twisting from old age, or big loads, get runout, and the bearings checked for wear, before you weld it, myself, if you know the guy at the machine shop, and you know he does motors all the time, get him to do it, if not, give it to a.p.e. and pay the bucks, regards.

Comment

Try John Pearson Racing at 937-839-9723. He is outside of Dayton Ohio, West Alexandria. He did my GS1000 crank (index, true, weld) for a very reasonable price.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2008, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        Try John Pearson Racing at 937-839-9723. He is outside of Dayton Ohio, West Alexandria. He did my GS1000 crank for a very reasonable price.
        Really??? Hrmm gonna have to give him a call over the winter mayhaps

Comment

The welding is the easy part, you can do that yourself. It's just a few tacks on each counter weight. But you can't weld it without making sure it's 100% straight. And you need to have it balanced anyway. At least you should do that stuff IMHO.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Many think he's the best. Not to far away from you.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
              http://www.grccranks.com/

Many think he's the best. Not to far away from you.
              I was going to send you to Stan too. I don't know if he is closer than Ohio but he IS very good & WON'T sell you stuff you don't need as I have had Falicon try to do in the past. His # is 207-664-0377. Ray.

Comment

All we do to roller bearing cranks, is make sure they are not twisted ( ground pin fits through all four rods) and weld the pins NOTHING MORE.

If it needs anything else it needs to go to Stan Gardner.

Jay
                Speed Merchant
                http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Gardener will get all my cranks. He's done my last 2.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                    Try John Pearson Racing at 937-839-9723. He is outside of Dayton Ohio, West Alexandria. He did my GS1000 crank (index, true, weld) for a very reasonable price.
                    I have had John do three GS cranks for me that I have used in my turbo bike. I have seen no problems with his workmanship. My friends have used him for several years building cranks for both Suzuki and Kawasaki cranks for T/G class. He does very good work. The only problem I have ever had or heard was when he lost a rod of mine. I think the highest I paid was in the $1400 range. This was on high mileage crank where the rods had some step damage. So, new 493 rods, all new bearings, SC gear and weld. I had him do another crank similar to that one where I supplied the gear and I think it was $1200 or so.

I would not just weld up a 30 year old crank without having it inspected. The cages get real sloppy and start cutting into the rods. There is no point in having something like this welded.

Comment

Well, I cant really afford $1400 into a crank. I just want it reliable and not have to worry about it breaking or twisting. I dont really need knife edge or lightening. I cant imagine it being too off. The holes seem to line up by putting a bolt through them. All the rods are tight with the bearings, so are the main bearings.

How do they balance the crank with the rods on anyways?

Comment

It isn't a matter of it being "too off"! It is a matter of finding out if it is worn out or still good enough to weld & use with existing parts. . It is a LOT cheaper to do a crank than it is to replace an entire engine because it grenaded! And it doesn't cost that much to have done only the things YOU need. The only way to determine that is in the hands of a professional. But, hey, we are only guys that have been doing this for 30 + years, what do we know?! I'm sure you will be comfortable riding around with the PIN pulled! Ray.
                        Last edited by rapidray; 06-27-2008, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X