X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woo Hoo!!! mine arrived today.. now I gotta get the carbs rejetted

Comment

Me too! Me too!

Flebay'd mine for $232 delivered w/ gaskets.

He's got one more:

What size bolts do I need? Metric stainless is a bit hard to find around here. Also, does it bolt directly to the frame or do you use a rubber or silicone spacer?

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

that V&H has a straight pipe... mine bends upward after the collecter.... weird.

and its normal to blow a little of the glass out of the pipe in the first few hundred miles...

they bolt directly to the frame...

Comment

So, I purchased a GS650GLD back in June. I live in Guatemala, Central America and found this bike for about USD$1000. It runs well, and has no noticeable leaks. One of the previous owners chopped off the OEM mufflers, and I have been following this thread for weeks now. But shipping and exhaust system to this country is EXPENSIVE. Somehow, I manage to track a brand new right side OEM, and just yesterday I found the left side at another place. My question is: Do I go the OEM way or do I find a way to ship a V&H to me. I think I can get the OEM set for about USD$250. What do you all think.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS750 View Post
            that V&H has a straight pipe... mine bends upward after the collecter.... weird.

and its normal to blow a little of the glass out of the pipe in the first few hundred miles...

they bolt directly to the frame...

That's because that pipe is the drag pipe, which will have corner clearance issues. See images that I posted earlier in the post.

Comment

Originally posted by Richsuz View Post
              So, I purchased a GS650GLD back in June. I live in Guatemala, Central America and found this bike for about USD$1000. It runs well, and has no noticeable leaks. One of the previous owners chopped off the OEM mufflers, and I have been following this thread for weeks now. But shipping and exhaust system to this country is EXPENSIVE. Somehow, I manage to track a brand new right side OEM, and just yesterday I found the left side at another place. My question is: Do I go the OEM way or do I find a way to ship a V&H to me. I think I can get the OEM set for about USD$250. What do you all think.
              The OEM is much heavier. That's the bad thing about them.

But they are so much quieter and last so much longer that I'd stick with the OEM. Then, if you have the stock airbox, you can stick with stock jetting and have a smooth running bike with no troubles (hopefully).

Plus, noise can get you into trouble that a quiet bike won't. That is, unless you actually believe that 'loud pipes save lives!'...

I know that I've skated on a number of what would have otherwise been speeding tickets only because i ride quiet bikes with OEM pipes!

But I'd try to haggle down the price on those OEM ones. It's not as though a bunch of guys are banging down the doors to buy stock 650 mufflers. At that price, they must be NOS (new old stock, meaning that they have never been on a bike). If it doesn't matter so much to you that they are brand new, you can probably find nice used OEM ones either here or on fleabay (or at a cycle salvage near you?) for a LOT less than $250.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2008, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I have been looking for the used set, unfortunately, I live in a 3rd world country and people here drive things down to death and then replace parts with makeshift, half cooked adaptations.

The reality is I found pipes on a 700 that looked very bad and the owner wanted 150USD, then I found a set that came of a 650, very rusted and the guy wanted 100 USD.

I guess The NOS sounds good at this point. The other choice is to pick up a pair of HD mufflers.

Plan A: NOS set for 250USD
                Plan B: USED OEM for about 120USD but in bad shape
                Plan C: HD mufflers for 20USD and Adaptation costs.
                Plan D: IMPORT V&H 350USD plus shipping of about 200USD.

A and C seem the best options. One saves money the other RESTORES the bike. What to do???

I will probably go for C. Soon as I get a hold of the guy that has them...

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoRob View Post
                  Me too! Me too!

Flebay'd mine for $232 delivered w/ gaskets.

He's got one more:

What size bolts do I need? Metric stainless is a bit hard to find around here. Also, does it bolt directly to the frame or do you use a rubber or silicone spacer?

Thanks,

Rob

Crud, ordered the wrong one. Never go against the wisdom of the hive.

Rob

Comment

Good thing V&H is still producing these pipes:

msrp $345, if you can get them for under $300, wow.

Comment

Originally posted by highmileage View Post
                      Plus, noise can get you into trouble that a quiet bike won't.
                      I can vouch for that, I jumped on it in second up to about 70, only to look ahead and see a cop sitting in a parking lot down the road. I backed off her, eased the rear brake and by the time he looked over at me I was back to legal speeds...phew. Quiet was a good thing that day.

Comment

MOTODAD not working anymore

I had used it to order both a V&H 4:1 and Rear bike stand. Nice dicsounts on both.

Please post a new code when one becomes avaliable.

TIA

Comment

Working...
                        X