Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My GS 1000

Hi,

I was a long time member before I started graduate school part time and stopped checking the forums, so here's my bike that I built with a lot of help from here.

1979 GS1000
    Bright orange powder coated the frame
    Stock spoke wheels
    cartridge emulators and new fork seals
    stainless braided coated brake lines (Goodridge)
    rebuilt calipers and master cylinders with new pads
    replaced most hardware with stainless socket heads
    superbike bars
    crg style mirrors
    painted my mirrors and cam caps with blue "anodized" color paint
    carbon fiber overlayed all body work (tank, tail section, side covers, front fender from a newer bike)
    some nice squishy grips (dirt bike grips actually)
    Dyna S ignition with Green coils and 7mm Accel wires
    Custom rear set foot pegs (my design)
    Kreemed tank
    LED lights in control panel (red backlighting)
    new swing arm brearings
    All Balls taper roller stearing head bearings
    stearing stabilizer
    halogen headlight
    Tinned copper 10ga ground cables
    modified petcock to have off instead of prime and on instead of on-with-vacuum
    Dupont chromaclear over carbon fiber work
    Pirelli sport demon tires

Rebuilt engine as follows:
    welded crank
    undercut transmission
    stock pistons new rings and hone
    new valve guide seals and all gaskets and oil seals
    K&N pod filters (including breather)
    stainless socket head screws everywhere
    rebuilt vm26 carbs with dynojet stage 3 kit (120 mains??)
    Vance and Hines 4 into 1 exhaust
    new spark plugs
    new oil (silkolene)

Still needs:
    oil cooler adapter (I will make one... or more if anyone is interested)
    sanding and final coat of clear coat on carbon fiber
    new head gasket (ughh, I should have bought the factory one the first time)
    new battery (it died over the winter without a tender)

That looks really nice!

What emulators did you use?
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I used the Racetech FEGV s3301 gold valve emulators. Worked great. I didn't even need spring spacers because the emulator compressed the springs just enough for a 150 lb rider (me).

Comment

Nice work

I know there is probably a ton of work involved that you are showing as simple line items. Apparently it takes a few times to get the engines right (unless you are an expert). I just ordered a 1166 kit for mine today so the 1100ED engine is coming apart again as well.

I dont know how you find the time while going to grads school either

Do you have more close ups. I'm interested in your "steering stabilizer"

Posplayr
        Last edited by posplayr; 07-18-2008, 12:56 AM.

Comment

I actually mostly finished the bike before I started grad school. I'm almost done now too, so I will have some more time to play soon. Here's the only picture I have on hand showing the stabilzer up close. Its the old style damping bar with 5 settings. I don't know the brand, it was in the buckets of parts when I got the bike a few years ago. I started with a frame with wheels and the bottom end and two big plastic bins full of parts.

Comment

Knockoff Emulators

I used the Racetech FEGV s3301 gold valve emulators. Worked great. I didn't even need spring spacers because the emulator compressed the springs just enough for a 150 lb rider (me).
            Does the Skunk have 37 mm forks? The FEGV S3301 is listed for the 82-83 only on the Racetech website.

BTW I have a 81 GS750 with 35 mm forks and I found this Ebay listing for emulators that are probably knock off's of the Racetech units (1/2 price).
            They are for a 35 mm CB750 and the CB750 cross references to the FEGV S3001 emulator. I'll report back after I get them installed.

I think I'll give it a try.

Posplayr

Comment

Bike looks very clean

Looking at the photo I can see you did alot of work. Is that a carbon fiber fender? Did you lay that up yourself of buy it?

Posplayr

Comment

I just checked and the upper fork tube OD is 36.85mm (so it looks like the lower leg is bored to 37mm and they used a sliding fit). I don't really want to open up the forks to measure the ID, but if I do sometime, I will measure it.

I did a carbon fiber overlay on a GS1100 fender (plastic) because I liked the way that fender looks better. None of my body work is just carbon fiber. It all is the original bodywork with one or two layers of carbon fiber twill. I wetted out the bodywork with resin, layed up the carbon fiber, wetted the cloth the rest of the way with more resin, and vacuum bagged each part. After the resin cured I took off the bags and sprayed all the carbon fiber with Dupont Chromaclear ultra wet look, 2 part urethane clear coat. I still have to finish sand and spray the final coat(s) of clear to finish up the body work. Here's another picture of the fender.

The emulators I got directly from Racetech after calling them and discussing with them which ones were correct for my bike. Since my bike was originally pieced together from race-bike spare parts, it could have different forks than were originally equipped on the 79 1000.

Comment

Want to see where I built this thing... I put it together in the spare bedroom of my 3rd floor walk up apartment with white carpets...ha and I still got my security deposit back. Once I got the frame and engine assembled after cleaning everything so I could eat off of it I carried the frame/engine assembly down the stairs into the back of my truck and finished assembly in a storage unit I rented for a month. I started it for the first time in the storage unit parking lot too. Tuning it was a bear and took about a full day to get it running (I had changed the ignition, exhaust, intake, and carbs, so I had to set them all up at once).

Comment

The infamous storage unit / custom motorcycle fabrication shop...

Comment

And one more...

Comment

Working...
                      X