Cooling overkill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
    Your set-up looks pretty good! Do let us know the extent of the temp drop, with this cooler installed.....I recall some of your earlier posts re. the temp gauge reading too high, sans cooler. Up here, I find even the 1150 cooler I'm running overkill, unless ambient temp is 80F or higher....oil temp will reach 175F, but no higher, on cooler days (which is probably not a good thing?).

Tony.

Thanks, I researched this subject on this board and posted a few helpful posts finding our what others were doing to solve the problem. My motor on a hot day runs well over 300 and starts to make nose if I don't cut the day short. If this cooler makes it runs too cool on a cold day then I will install a thermostat. I'll post updates on this thread.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Yep the cutout is there. I measured it once but dont have the numbers now.

You gonna do Banjo's ?

Posplayr
      I'm going to take the header back off and re-think it. I fear the banjo has to be at an angle to keep it off the block area to give room for the hose and to clear things that stick out around the block

Comment

Originally posted by Sunburn View Post
        .... My motor on a hot day runs well over 300 and starts to make nose if I don't cut the day short. If this cooler makes it runs too cool on a cold day then I will install a thermostat. I'll post updates on this thread.Mark
        I think you will be fine without a thermostat in California, if those are the temps you see. Your engine is probably not stock, I suppose, which would explain the difference in running temps.
        IMO, going with the stock 1150-style banjo hook up on the engine end of the lines would be the best bet, to solve the clearance problem. At this point, hope those lines will be long enough, after removing the existing fittings.

Above pic is from Mike's site (our Aussie bro).

Tony.
        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Use a 45 degree coming out of the block and angle it away from the exhaust then connect the line to it with another 45 but it will probably be over the edge of your filter cover.

Comment

Just checked the Earl's store and there are lots of fitting choices in -6, but -8 is limited. Kind of a bummer since it would be pretty expensive to switch over now.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
              They sure look the same. I'm wondering if my hanging bracket in the rear is lowering my slip on attachment and there by changing the angle of the dangle for the headers. Or to say it another way if I lifted the slip on in the back it might pull the headers closer to the frame rails. Just a thought. By the way Sunburn you bike looks awesome!!

I loosened the header up again gave a little play and it would seem like it should clear, and it DID! Every thing is tight but I have a female short and curly of clearance!

The only problem is I’m one speed bump away from cracking it from the block. I need a little more wiggle room for it to be right. –6an or banjo must happen.

Comment

I may have found the Promise land for metric fittings. I'm going to call them in the AM.

BAT Inc. offers Mocal and Setrab oil coolers for engine, transmission, and cooling differential applications. Our oil coolers are perfect for automotive, motorcycle, marine applications.

Comment

I just posted a cheapy

Posplayr

Comment

Ok qty 2 14MM 1.5 bolts and qty 2 14MM to -8AN Banjo fitting on order for the bargain rate of $95.20 plus shipping. F’ me run ‘in … bolts on back order. Wont see them ship for another 7 days. Long wait when you got the fever...

Comment

just my 5 cents worth here ..

not done this myself , but a mate had the same issue ....he put a small indentation into the pipe and used 2 exhaust gaskets on all the pipes to give the clearance he needed ... seemed to work ok .

and i think you will agree ....this is overkill.

19 row , extrawide

Comment

Thanks for that Mocal link Sunburn. They seem to have good prices for complete oil cooler kits compared to some others I've seen.

How big of an oil cooler does a bigbore (1000+) GS motor need? 10 rows? Bigger?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                          How big of an oil cooler does a bigbore (1000+) GS motor need? 10 rows? Bigger?

Most would say NONE! Depends on where you live and ride. The one I have pictured is overkill 10 row cooler. The stock ones for 1150 are much smaller. If your motor is stock you don't need much of a cooler if any at all.

Comment

Originally posted by saffa View Post
                            and i think you will agree ....this is overkill.

19 row , extrawide
                            Wow now that's a an oil cooler. There is a Hot Rod VW someplace missing an oil cooler

Comment

i hate to say it but you could always just make youre rear hanger a little bit longer. could you not?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunburn View Post
                                Wow now that's a an oil cooler. There is a Hot Rod VW someplace missing an oil cooler

lol ....this thing used to run a 1500 big block ....hence the huge cooler .

ive since replaced the motor with an 1170 as the 1500 was fun but had
                                trouble keeping its oil within the cases.i was gonna go back to the 10 row i used to have but the big one just looked ......erm.....cooler

seems to do the job well enough

but anyways ...lets see some more gratuitous side angle shots of your lovely beastie

Comment

Working...
                                X