Help identify this clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by first timer View Post
    Couldn't you just run a gs1100 basket that is trimed down, say about 3/8" or if you were tricky with a cnc machine make a spacer?
    Yes and yes. I have an 1100 basket in my street GS1000....It has the full set of factory 1100 plates (one more than the 1000) but requires cutting down the length of the basket by a small amount, trimming the cases to about what Renobruce did to his, an extra long "release rack" (the part the torrington bearing goes on), an approximate 1/2" spacer for the clutch cover, re-bending of the rear brake pedal arm, and moving the right foot peg out a bit.....When I am sitting at a traffic light, I can touch flat footed with my left foot but not the right...small price to pay for a bullet proof clutch.....If you tried to put the 1100 basket in without a spacer, you would have to cut the length of the basket down a lot. You may also have to machine down the pads on the basket where the spring bolts go into (for proper tension). You also may end up with one less clutch plate than stock (which is not desirable if your making any power)....I have 3 stock clutch springs and 3 slightly stronger than stock springs in mine and can pull the clutch in with 2 fingers..........Good to chat with you guys, I just pop in every once in a while to see who's doing what.......Billy

Comment

So what would be your recommendation for me. I am running a parallel build to Bruce and planed on going with a modified GS1100 billet basket since I don't think anyone offers a gs1000 basket anymore.

My brief correspondence with Big Jay said they might be able to do something, and he was thinking cutting down a GS1100 billet basket 3/8" or so.

But as I understand you, if I cut one down that far then I would be running less disks, not a option I want.

So basically my option is to run a gs1100 basket, pay a lot to have a spacer machined, and extra long release rack made? Who would even do that?

I am just trying to get educated on this before I start talking to machine shops and vendors. This is my first build and I want it to go right.

-SORRY FOR THE HIJACK BRUCE-

Thanks!
      -Ryan

Originally posted by BadBillyB View Post
      Yes and yes. I have an 1100 basket in my street GS1000....It has the full set of factory 1100 plates (one more than the 1000) but requires cutting down the length of the basket by a small amount, trimming the cases to about what Renobruce did to his, an extra long "release rack" (the part the torrington bearing goes on), an approximate 1/2" spacer for the clutch cover, re-bending of the rear brake pedal arm, and moving the right foot peg out a bit.....When I am sitting at a traffic light, I can touch flat footed with my left foot but not the right...small price to pay for a bullet proof clutch.....If you tried to put the 1100 basket in without a spacer, you would have to cut the length of the basket down a lot. You may also have to machine down the pads on the basket where the spring bolts go into (for proper tension). You also may end up with one less clutch plate than stock (which is not desirable if your making any power)....I have 3 stock clutch springs and 3 slightly stronger than stock springs in mine and can pull the clutch in with 2 fingers..........Good to chat with you guys, I just pop in every once in a while to see who's doing what.......Billy
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

So what would be your recommendation for me. I am running a parallel build to Bruce and planed on going with a modified GS1100 billet basket since I don't think anyone offers a gs1000 basket anymore.

My brief correspondence with Big Jay said they might be able to do something, and he was thinking cutting down a GS1100 billet basket 3/8" or so.

But as I understand you, if I cut one down that far then I would be running less disks, not a option I want.

So basically my option is to run a gs1100 basket, pay a lot to have a spacer machined, and extra long release rack made? Who would even do that?

I am just trying to get educated on this before I start talking to machine shops and vendors. This is my first build and I want it to go right.

-SORRY FOR THE HIJACK BRUCE-

Thanks!
        -Ryan

My clutch had an extra plate and fiber over stock. With those installed, there was no room for the release rack to work. I took them out, and it is now exactly the same distance as the stock clutch to the cover.

I would think you could trim down an 1100 basket. If you want, I can take some accurate measurements of mine... I haven't filled the engine with oil yet.

The guy who welded my crank said he could have taken my stock basket and "banded" it with aluminum. He said he's done it before to both Kawis and Suzukis and that they are quite strong. If you want I can give him a call to see what is involved and how much. He might even have some pics I can scan.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
          My clutch had an extra plate and fiber over stock. With those installed, there was no room for the release rack to work. I took them out, and it is now exactly the same distance as the stock clutch to the cover.

I would think you could trim down an 1100 basket. If you want, I can take some accurate measurements of mine... I haven't filled the engine with oil yet.

The guy who welded my crank said he could have taken my stock basket and "banded" it with aluminum. He said he's done it before to both Kawis and Suzukis and that they are quite strong. If you want I can give him a call to see what is involved and how much. He might even have some pics I can scan.
          The GS1100 uses an aluminum shim or spacer that fits inside the clutch spring on the bolt. This causes the pressure plate bolt to bottom on it at torque. The GS1000 does not use this. If Bruce took out the extra plate and left out those aluminum spacers he may have found the short cut. That spacer is about the thickness of the combined thickness of one friction plate and one steel..........But I am pretty sure you weill have to use GS1100 friction discs as they are different in diameter.......Billy

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post

yes Bruce i would love some measurements and more detailed photes of the basket with a tape measure if you don't have everything bolted up yet.

not sure what these spacers are I'll look them up in fiche when i am more awake.

the more info i have the better i can talk to ape or falicon.

thanks
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

yes Bruce i would love some measurements and more detailed photes of the basket with a tape measure if you don't have everything bolted up yet.

not sure what these spacers are I'll look them up in fiche when i am more awake.

the more info i have the better i can talk to ape or falicon.

thanks
              Heres the spacers.....#32
              http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/sch...SU0062_023.gif

Comment

Working...
              X