Frame/Swingarm stiffening for the GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frame/Swingarm stiffening for the GS750

I have seen several methods of frame stiffening for my bike. I am in the process of tearing mine down for a frame up rebuild. I plan on stiffening the frame by welding cross members, X-members, plates, gussets, etc. I am very interested in feedback from members of this forum that have done what I am proposing. What steel did you use? What did you add where?, etc....
    Also the swingarm mods you all have done to increase rigidity. I want to stick with a two shock setup, but is there a different swingarm from another bike that lends itself well to fitment to my 750? Or, is there an aftermarket swingarm that is made stiffer for my bike?

As far as the swingarm I would go '80-'83 1100E/S Katana. You can also go Bandit 1200 but you will have to do some welding to add eyes for the shocks and probably a little milling and bushing to fit the front of it to the pivot.

Comment

Have a look at the article below on GS frame stiffening. I implemented the subframe bracing as part of the monoshock conversion on my bike and it's made a noticeable improvement in frame flex when the bike's leaned over hard, and when you hit a bump when leaned over at high speed/lean angle.

Can't link to this page directly, so www.oldskoolsuzuki.info -> GSX/EFE/Katana -> Making the GSX frame stiffer

Comment

A very good article on frame stiffening and a bunch of other stuff as well:

พนันบอลออนไลน์ ฟรี วิธีการเลือกเว็บพนันบอลที่น่าเชื่อถือ ปัจจัยที่ควรพิจารณา ความคิดเห็นจากผู้ใช้ และความปลอดภัยสำหรับผู้เล่น

Material should be mild steel tubing, DOM or ERW doesn't matter. 4130 is a waste of time and harder to work with. Stick to similar wall thickness as the OEM portions of the frame. Welded or brazed is fine if done competently.

The OldSkool article is also vey helpful and a good source for more Suzuki specific details. Tony's article is good basic info that applies to any bike and provides the method and approach to use.

Mark

Comment

I used a GS1100E aluminum boxed swinger on my 77 750 cafe. Definate improvement in lightness for sure, and for sure less flex there.

Comment

[quote=RocketReady;875801]I have seen several methods of frame stiffening for my bike. I am in the process of tearing mine down for a frame up rebuild. I plan on stiffening the frame by welding cross members, X-members, plates, gussets, etc. I am very interested in feedback from members of this forum that have done what I am proposing. What steel did you use? What did you add where?, etc....

Just moving this through again.
            I can't believe that many of you don't have proud photographic proof, (that you would like to share) of the awesome frame stiffening work you have done on your GS750....any takers?

Comment

Heres a pic of my current cafe project, with the 1100 swinger on it.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketReady View Post
                Just moving this through again.
                I can't believe that many of you don't have proud photographic proof, (that you would like to share) of the awesome frame stiffening work you have done on your GS750....any takers?
                I don't have a GS750 but there are some frame stiffening pictures on my GS1100 project thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=101698
                On second page.

These are basically the same modifications that are described on oldskoolsuzuki.info. With front end upgrade change was clearly noticeable. The bike feels now much more rigid and handles more stable at higher speeds.
                Arttu
                GS1100E EFI turbo
                Project thread

Comment

I've been doing bracing pretty much as described on oss on gs, gsx & Z frames for racers & builders since given drawings by a retired racer/ frame maker in about 85, sorry no pics as i never owned a camera untill recently

what exactly do you need to know, shout up & i'll help if i can

Comment

Just adding a link previously mentioned

by 80GS1000

Comment

Working...
                    X