Successful GS550 Carb Jetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Successful GS550 Carb Jetting

I just finished putting a Stage 3 Dynojet kit and K&N filters on my 81 GS550 and it worked perfectly. It was much easier than I expected. The only thing that made me nervous was the drilling and it turned out to be easy also. The job only took about 2 hours and now my 550 is a different bike. I don't know how much horsepower I picked up but it seems to be significant.

My initial purpose was to get rid of the air box that drove me nuts every time I wanted to do some work on the bike and had to take off the carbs. I hated trying to remove and install the carbs between the 2 sets of boots and it was really tearing up the boots. The K&N's are a tight fit but much easier than the old way.

If anybody wants more info on the upgrade just let me know and I will post more details about the process.

How diffiult was the initial tuning? I really want to run K&N pods with the DJ kit and a nicer breathing exhaust. Im just leary on spending countless hours doing laps around my neighborhood to get things right.

Do you have any tips/advice?

First impressions on riding after completing the install?

Comment

Comment

questions

Originally posted by mbautsch View Post
        I just finished putting a Stage 3 Dynojet kit and K&N filters on my 81 GS550 and it worked perfectly. It was much easier than I expected.

If anybody wants more info on the upgrade just let me know and I will post more details about the process.
        Did you have to change the needle setting as stated by Dynojet?
        How much bigger are your jets than the originals?

Comment

Did you use the kit for the 1982 katana 550 as that is the only 550 kit I can see on their site

Comment

Useless thread…

The turkey flew away…
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
            X