Shoehorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoehorn

I figure it is time to start introducing some of my projects.
    I figure this one is kind of different than one will normally find so I will start with it.
    Now since some consider my projects odd I will introduce it in an odd way, just pictures. Here are a few to start.
    Keep in mind this is a work in progress and is not done yet.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-25-2008, 06:09 AM.

i like that mate the 11 engine is fairly tight in a 550 frame isnt it

Comment

Yes it is, when I was doing the first trial fitting I was beginning to think I couldn't get it in. It took a bit of trimming of the frame but it sits in quite nicely now.

Comment

How well did the carbs fit? Better yet, is that why the tank is cut? Also, how much did you have to add to the rear link to get it to sit up so high? Finally, even though your using the Kat wheels, is there enough frame clearance for the chain using stock sprockets?

Comment

Probably the best way to describe it is nothing fit. Once I got the engine to settle into place even the valve cover was up into the tank.

Unfortunately I was starting the wiring so it is in the way when I took these pics.
          As you can see the engine takes up all the space it can and that the center area of the frame is a custom fabrication.

The bracing and engine mount are not completed here.
          The front end is a full Kat setup, essentially unmodified. The rear is a bit more, It is a Kat swingarm with GSXR 1000 shock. as you can see it is not fitted to the original frame. What is not seen is that the frame has been widened to fit this swingarm. The chainline on the engine is wider than the original 550. To utilize this I installed a 6" rim from an R1. The sprocket hub was narrowed a bit for the new chainline and everything is tight enough that I am not running an O ring chain. This may change but it is what I have at hand.

I think the added height you note in the rear may be due to the bike leaning on a workstand and that the suspension is not compressed in this series of shots.

Now some of the fun part, the tank. At my limit of pics per post here.
          Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2008, 10:11 AM. Reason: I wanted too.

Comment

I only seem to have Two decent pics of this phase of the tank work. I will shoot more in the next month or so as I resume work on this bike.

As you can see the tank has major changes to the inside although minor changes to the outside.
            I was able to get the engine rotated forward enough to get the valvecover under the tank by nesting the timing chaincase into the frame under the headstock, I had forgotten that fact since this work was done 6 years ago and the project has been in storage since.
            I needed to widen the area where the side covers are over the air filters therefore I needed to work under the tank.
            As I was prepping the tank to widen it I came to realize how loose it fit to the backbone of the bike. By making it fit snugly it will hold more fuel without unduly altering the external appearance. The lower pic shows how much I needed to flair the rear section to clear the filters. The side covers will be flexed a bit in their final form.

Comment

As a fabricator I am impressed with your desire to undertake such a challenging project. Very impressed! My question is can you get the valve cover off for maintenance? Good luck, Ray.

Comment

Well kind of , Yes. But one has to take the vent cover off the top first.
                And to take the engine out of the frame the oil sump has to be removed. At least that gives a flat surface but is a PIA to keep clean.

Comment

Holy crap what a huge project! Excellent work I might add. Just curious, after all of that work why did you settle for the Katana front end and mismatched wheels? Why not the GSXR USD and matched rims?

Comment

Thank you, I started out with matched wheels front and rear. This originally was built with a 4.5" rear rim. Once I found the Yamaha rim to be compatible and at least visually similar to the Kat rim up front It just had to go on there. I can not say I am happy with the rear caliper so that may be changed out before I am done.
                    I went for the conventional fork solely for looks. I have USD forks here that are going into a bike I am building from ground up but just wanted this bike to appear stock. Well other than the fat rear tire now.
                    As I get around to the exhaust on this bike it will have stock looking megaphone style mufflers on it rather than cans.

Comment

Working...
                    X