GS1100 swingarm for a GS750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 swingarm for a GS750?

Hello, I have a 1982 GS750T that is going to be a cafe fighter project. I've heard about putting GS1100 or GSX1100 swingarms on my bike. Does anyone know what exactly I should look for in a donor bike? What year should I look for? What model specifically? What else should I get from the donor bike? What can I swap out from any other type of bike? What about front forks? What year/model bike can I get higher performance parts from?

Thanks!

Your biggest issue in swapping to a 1100E swingarm is going to be the fact that YOUR bike is fitted with a drum rear brake. The 1100E swinger is designed for a disc brake. You'll likley have to change out the whole back end of you bike to get it to work out, including the rear brake system. Forks...1100 forks and the tripple will drop right in with a bearing switch. Not much better, but definately better than those 35mm forks and single sided disc brake.

Comment

Any year with alu boxed swinger and dual shock set up, so 81 to 83 i think? You're going to have to do something about the pivot boss in the frame as well. The pivot bolt for the 1100 swinger is larger than that of the 750. So you can either have bushes for the swingarm made that have the same OD as the originals, but the ID of the 750 pivot bolt, or you can drill the frame holes to accept the larger pivot. I personally drilled my frame, but this can be very dangerous, as if you are not PERFECTY in line, on both sides, the frame will be ruined.

Comment

I did the swap on my 78 GS1000, 83 GS1100 swingarm,wheel and brake at the back, and forks, wheel and brakes at the front. Combined with progressive forksprings it is, unlike what Cafe said, a mayor improvement!!
        It was all a straight swap, but i think Cafe is right on the pivot bolt is smaller in diameter on your 750.
        succes,
        Ed

Comment

Working...
        X