• Show
Clear All

why index a crank

what does it do? and does it help?
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

With a multi piece crank the crank throws need to be "indexed" to ensure thare are clocked correctly. 1 and 4 should line up and be exactly 180 degrees from 2 and 3 which should line up.

Comment

If the crank isn't indexed correctly, it will be out of balance. THAT is the biggest reason. When a roller bearing crank is out of balance it destroys stuff in a HURRY! Ray.

Comment

So basically if I am having Stan Gardner rebuilding, balancing and welding my crank, then indexing is part of it. It would need to be indexed in order for it to be balanced.

I was just wondering because falicon had it listed seperately as and extra item to the rebuild and balance.
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Send the crank to Gardner & you will get HONESTY about your crank. I have had issues with Falicon telling me a crank needed lots of parts & was junk when I had gotten it back from them less than 3 months before! Stan is honest & fairly priced. He will only sell you what you NEED! And, YES, indexing is part of his rebuild. Ray

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
            So basically if I am having Stan Gardner rebuilding, balancing and welding my crank, then indexing is part of it. It would need to be indexed in order for it to be balanced.

I was just wondering because falicon had it listed seperately as and extra item to the rebuild and balance.
            Im sending him my crank too for the same procedure

Comment

Working...
            X