82 GS1100E rear lowering ideas??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100E rear lowering ideas??

Hey all! I'm new here so be kind, please! I just bought an 82 GS1100E! Great for me, right? I put a new wiring harness in it. What a job!! I'm a little on the short side so I have problems reaching the ground. Not to the point that I'm scared of dropping it. Just enough that I don't feel real comfortable at a stop light etc. I have had NO luck finding a lowering kit to lower the rearend down a bit. Any ideas from all you "Bike Freaks" out there? I thought of making my own lowering links, but, I'm not much of a welder yet. I'd rather just bolt on something, premade, and go! Somebody HELP PLEASE!!!! Thanks for any ideas!!

Welcome to Resources and the EZ Boyz club.

The stock shocks are just over 12.5" eye to clevis. Im not sure there is another eye to clevis shock out there any shorter. You could raise the fork tubes in the trees a bit and maybe cut down the seat.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Welcome aboard. I associate lowering links with modern mono shock rear ends. With the GS1100e having dual shocks it would seem to me that you would have to find shorter shocks.
      I think the stock shocks are 13" so you would need to find lower shocks from another bike with clevis mount on swingarm and eye mount on top. Chances are your shocks, unless already upgraded, need to be improved.

The other option and I believe they are still available are corbin gunfighter seats. They probably take an 1" off at least. They are not cheap but they are definately an upgrade over the stock unit and a lot better looking imho.

If money and time are no big deal then you can convert to modern 17" radial wheels and front ends which would dramatically lower things.

Comment

Try and find a custom seat for it. I have one on mine and it allows my feet to be flat on the ground, (32" inseam)....

Sorry, I don't know who made it. It came on the bike. Here's a pic

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Here's how one member here lowered their bike.

Paul
          80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

On my 750L, shocks were 13.25". Do a search on E-bay for motorcycle shocks, several available. 11" is about as short as I've seen for the eye to clevis style, Sportster, and some of the older CB's used this style of shock too IIRC. You could go the route I did and make hard struts (8.5" on mine) for itif ya want the real slammed look. Good luck w/ it...

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
              Here's how one member here lowered their bike.

Paul

Paul,

I know thats your bike, and I'm not an engineer, but that just doesn't look safe at all. I wonder if that person is still ok.

If someone were going to go that route then just cut the shock mounts off and reposition them further out on the swingarm. Or get a Bandit swingarm and move em out and get a wide radial.

Comment

Working...
              X