smoothbore ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoothbore ?

I feel stupid for having to ask this but i want to make sure all the simple stuff is covered so here goes.

I am having gas leak out of all four carbs through the center of the five holes shown at the throat of the carbs. I have set all float heights to about 23 mm and the needle valves/seats are brand spankin new. floats are fine, it happens instantly so i am wondering if i have the fuel going to the right place.

please correct me if i am wrong. as far as the fuel line, vacum line, vent hoses are concerned, the larger diameter nipples on carbs one and three are the fuel line, the smaller diameter pair of nipples pictured facing the camera on 2 and 4 in the picture are for the vents, and the single nipple with the 90 degree bend on carb number 3 is the vacum line. just want to make sure i have all the hoses right before i freak out on these carbs.

as always thanks for the help.

nick

Sounds right for VM33's. Here's a diagram: http://www.sudco.com/Diagrams323728/expvm33.gif
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

ya, i have a copy of that diagram, i just couldn't find where anything but the fuel line cap was labeled so i thought i would check on the other stuff as well.

thanks
      nick

Comment

Are you using a vacuum petcock? If so, make sure it's working right.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Somehow your fuel level is getting up the needle jet and coming out the air jet.
          Just out of curiosity, did you disassemble the carbs and blow compressed air through all the orifices? Are the gaskets for the needle and seats in good shape? Also, when you set your floats, did you set them so the tang is just touching the end of the needle valve at 23MM? Not compressing the spring loaded plunger. Also check that both sides of the floats are the same. That can cause problems if they are not.
          Good luck, I know it can be a real bear (well, for me anyway) to get those VM33s working right. But I have found that once I did, they kept their settings and performed great.
          The Three Horsemen
          '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
          '83 GS1100ES
          ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
          Porkchop Express

Comment

doh! subtract 1mm for the gasket, not add 1mm when setting the float height. knew it was something stupid.

just to double check, there are vent hoses on vm33s correct? two of those nipples need to be open.

thanks

Comment

Yes. I don't have hoses on mine, just leave the nipples open. I've been told that if you put hoses on them depending on where they are routed to, it can cause pressure differentials in the float bowls.
              I had VM33s on my Katana WITH hoses routed back along the frame about 10 inches and had no problems. But on my 1150 I left the hoses off and have no problems either. So take that for what it's worth.
              Hope you get them working right.
              The Three Horsemen
              '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
              '83 GS1100ES
              ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
              Porkchop Express

Comment

one way or another they will be working right, its all about baby steps, they're not dumping fuel on the ground so now its time to start getting the jetting right, lol. cant wait to start riding this beast.

Comment

Working...
                X