GS650 Exhaust/Pods/Jet Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650 Exhaust/Pods/Jet Kit

Hello all, new to the forums, have read a lot of usefull information so far. Thank you all for that. I have an 81 GS650, I was wanting to customize the bike a little, with a full exhaust, pods and a jet kit.

I saw the thread on the vance and hines, is that only for the 700-1100 bikes, or with the 750 exhaust fit on my bike with little or no mods?

I know we are dealing with some older bikes, and I don't think there is much aftermarket support for the 650's. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

TWorx

you're going to get a whole hand full of responses that say don't bother, the 650 is best left stock . . . and you are right, the 650 doesn't have a lot of performance upgrade support. Be cheaper to buy a faster bike.

Do a search for jetting a 650. you'll see what I mean. Meanwhile, make sure you are stock. and she should be a great runner!!

Comment

Sprockets and call it a day

Comment

The 650 is one of the best tuned machines from the factory. Leave it that way and you'll be glad.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
          The 650 is one of the best tuned machines from the factory. Leave it that way and you'll be glad.

I'll second this.. And Duaneage knows what he's talking about.

Is this the E model (Chain Drive), or the G/GL (shaft drive)

Amos

Comment

Info

Originally posted by TWorx81 View Post
            Hello all, new to the forums, have read a lot of usefull information so far. Thank you all for that. I have an 81 GS650, I was wanting to customize the bike a little, with a full exhaust, pods and a jet kit.

I saw the thread on the vance and hines, is that only for the 700-1100 bikes, or with the 750 exhaust fit on my bike with little or no mods?

I know we are dealing with some older bikes, and I don't think there is much aftermarket support for the 650's. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

TWorx
            If you really want to mod your 650, MAC offers a 4-1 system for our bikes, I've heard that they aren't the best quality but that's really all there is. Unfortunately V&H does not offer a pipe for the GS 650. There are a few other makes from across the pond, but I suspect that the weak american $ and shipping would make that cost-prohibitive. So unless you can find a used system on Craigslist or flEaBay (or money is no object), you're pretty much stuck with the MAC unit.

It has also been said that one could adapt a 550 pipe to fit on a 650 since the heads are nearly identical. A few forum members have done this sucessfully.

For pods, everyone says that the K&Ns are the best, albeit expensive. You'll need the 54mm ones.

As for jetting for the 4-1 exhaust and pods you should probably go with the Dynojet Stage III kit to get you in the ball park and then fine tune from there.

I would be interested to see someone do pods and a pipe on a 650, so keep us advised and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigRed View Post
              I'll second this.. And Duaneage knows what he's talking about.

Is this the E model (Chain Drive), or the G/GL (shaft drive)

Amos
              GL Shaft drive.

If you really want to mod your 650, MAC offers a 4-1 system for our bikes, I've heard that they aren't the best quality but that's really all there is. Unfortunately V&H does not offer a pipe for the GS 650. There are a few other makes from across the pond, but I suspect that the weak american $ and shipping would make that cost-prohibitive. So unless you can find a used system on Craigslist or flEaBay (or money is no object), you're pretty much stuck with the MAC unit.

It has also been said that one could adapt a 550 pipe to fit on a 650 since the heads are nearly identical. A few forum members have done this sucessfully.

For pods, everyone says that the K&Ns are the best, albeit expensive. You'll need the 54mm ones.

As for jetting for the 4-1 exhaust and pods you should probably go with the Dynojet Stage III kit to get you in the ball park and then fine tune from there.

I would be interested to see someone do pods and a pipe on a 650, so keep us advised and good luck.
              Thanks for the info, I'm still a little weary on the mac system, but I think i am going to give it a try, as long as the bike stays in the garage and doesnt see a lot of water the pipes should stay good for some time, i just dont want them to rust out. I dont mind the color change though, thats not a problem as long as it doesnt affect the part's overall strength.

I got the bike for free which is why I dont see a problem putting a little work into it and moeny. I'm currently in the proccess of pulling the engine and cleaning it up and replacing main gaskets and seals, wanted to pull the pan as well to make sure no rain or dirt found its way into the bottom end, as it has been sitting for a little bit. I figure a little work ahead of time to save me lots in the long run. Plus its a fun little project.

Thanks again guys. I'll get some pics and put em up as soon as I get the motor on the bench.

TWorx

Comment

Originally posted by JTsGS650 View Post

I know this is kinda an older post, but i just wanted to clear up some things.

V&H did make an 4-1 header for the gs650. 81-83. They are rare, but you can find them. A gs550 4-1 header will fit the gs650 head, however the exhaust ports are slightly smaller on the 550 head, which would give you an exhaust leak. What i did was to use the 650 exhaust gaskets and bolt down the header tight.

I have a few exhausts hanging from my garage rafters and they include a gs650 4-1 V&H exhaust, along with a gs550 yoshiumura 4-1 header.
                1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Originally posted by brveagle View Post
                  I know this is kinda an older post, but i just wanted to clear up some things.

V&H did make an 4-1 header for the gs650. 81-83. They are rare, but you can find them. A gs550 4-1 header will fit the gs650 head, however the exhaust ports are slightly smaller on the 550 head, which would give you an exhaust leak. What i did was to use the 650 exhaust gaskets and bolt down the header tight.

I have a few exhausts hanging from my garage rafters and they include a gs650 4-1 V&H exhaust, along with a gs550 yoshiumura 4-1 header.

The 4-1 v& h, would you want to part with it? How much would you be asking? Thanks for the info!

Comment

I'd be interested in the V&H 4-1 as well.

Comment

me three. I say we go by post count! LOL

Comment

one quick google search found this: http://www.motorcycle-exhaust.com/mm...egory_Code=MAC

Comment

Originally posted by maro View Post
                          me three. I say we go by post count! LOL

me 4.....and just because your a post ho doesn't me you should get them.....that's it....i'm telling my mom......

Comment

If the link doesn't work I just went to Dennis Kirk and they offer both the 4 2 1 and the 4 2 2....

Comment

Sorry guys, v&h gs650 exhaust is going to be put to use very soon.

Good luck with your search.
                              1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Working...
                              X