No announcement yet.

79 GS1000 turbo, anyone w/experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info. Soon I'll start searching for a pump and regulator. I need to figure out the specs on the charging system, and choose a pump.

Comment

He should know. Ever tried to keep up with a turbo Busa on a GS1100GK? Can't be done.

Originally posted by Busafied View Post
      I sold an IHI RHB5 to a guy in canada he bought it for his 750, it should be fine for your 8v1000.
      I used to have a map for it somewhere let me see if I can find it.
      Fuel Pump & Regulator are a necessity not an option, for the reason mentioned.

GL-
      Ron

------------------

here with some helpful explanation:

google search string:

http://www.google.com/search?q=ihi+r...ient=firefox-a

Comment

OK, now I have some time. For your application a smaller turbo is better. Less time to spool up and more forgiving. I have always used a aftermarket type kit with modifications. I noticed you mentioned using all four carbs. I think that would be a huge mistake for several reasons. You want to use a butterfly type carb set up. With high boost it will stick the slides against the side of the carb body. NOT GOOD. I`d recommend a S & S for simplicity sake but some ran zeniths(OK) and mikuni's(better). As for fuel delivery I recommend a return type system. In in other words the fuel you do not use is returned to the fuel tank. Any other type system is a compromise. I once had a couple 5 gallon buckets of pistons to prove this point. DON'T COMPROMISE. Since you are building your own pipes the quicker they converge the better. A simple spring type boost release will be fine. Bigger pipes aren`t always better for a street bike. I have no idea what type intake manifold you intend on making but buying one would be a lot easier. Then you can make any adapter needed to mount your carb/air filter.

Engine.

Chunk the stock pistons. No joke. I recommend J&E. The ring lands will break in the stockers. Stock rods are fine for street use. Get a billet clutch basket. The fingers will break off...again no joke. Undercut the tranny or you will start jumping out of gear in 4th after some abuse. If you want to help your performance over a stock engine install 1mm over exhaust valves and clean up around the valve seats and have someone make them bigger with a serdi/etc. No porting in necessary. Clean up around the stock intake valve seats(serdi) and leave the stock valves in. No cam needed. Good valve springs are a must. Adj cam sprockets are required. O`ring the cylinders with piano wire and use a good annealed copper gasket. We had a nifty set up where we cut out the gaskets/cylinder and ran GSXR stud o rings ...never leaked. Replace the cylinder studs with APE,etc and honestly case studs would be nice. I never ran a over drive oil gear,ever. Never burned a turbo up either. Make sure you have a good cam chain adjuster. Run GOOD fuel when on boost.

May not be what you want to hear but its what I would do. Putting a turbo on a virtually stock engine is just a disaster in waiting. There is no need to have a turbo if you`re not going to turn the boost up.

Good luck......

Comment

Originally posted by cbxchris View Post
          OK, now I have some time. For your application a smaller turbo is better. Less time to spool up and more forgiving. I have always used a aftermarket type kit with modifications. I noticed you mentioned using all four carbs. I think that would be a huge mistake for several reasons. You want to use a butterfly type carb set up. With high boost it will stick the slides against the side of the carb body. NOT GOOD. I`d recommend a S & S for simplicity sake but some ran zeniths(OK) and mikuni's(better). As for fuel delivery I recommend a return type system. In in other words the fuel you do not use is returned to the fuel tank. Any other type system is a compromise. I once had a couple 5 gallon buckets of pistons to prove this point. DON'T COMPROMISE. Since you are building your own pipes the quicker they converge the better. A simple spring type boost release will be fine. Bigger pipes aren`t always better for a street bike. I have no idea what type intake manifold you intend on making but buying one would be a lot easier. Then you can make any adapter needed to mount your carb/air filter.

Engine.

Chunk the stock pistons. No joke. I recommend J&E. The ring lands will break in the stockers. Stock rods are fine for street use. Get a billet clutch basket. The fingers will break off...again no joke. Undercut the tranny or you will start jumping out of gear in 4th after some abuse. If you want to help your performance over a stock engine install 1mm over exhaust valves and clean up around the valve seats and have someone make them bigger with a serdi/etc. No porting in necessary. Clean up around the stock intake valve seats(serdi) and leave the stock valves in. No cam needed. Good valve springs are a must. Adj cam sprockets are required. O`ring the cylinders with piano wire and use a good annealed copper gasket. We had a nifty set up where we cut out the gaskets/cylinder and ran GSXR stud o rings ...never leaked. Replace the cylinder studs with APE,etc and honestly case studs would be nice. I never ran a over drive oil gear,ever. Never burned a turbo up either. Make sure you have a good cam chain adjuster. Run GOOD fuel when on boost.

May not be what you want to hear but its what I would do. Putting a turbo on a virtually stock engine is just a disaster in waiting. There is no need to have a turbo if you`re not going to turn the boost up.

Good luck......
          I hear your point, and I take it for all it's worth (a lot). The turbo will have to wait, if I do all these things ($). Waiting may be the wise thing to do? I don't like do to projects half-way. I'm ussually, go big or go home kinda guy. I was under the imperssion from others that a stock motor would hold up fine under ~10 psi boost.
          My thoughts were this..............I have a turbo (cheap), I can easily do the fab work myself ( no poblem), I can keep it mild now and next winter I may tear down, do lots of upgrades and make it wild.
          My thoughts were that I would have all of the fab work done, a functional turbo setup, a bike that I could ride next year. Kinda like phase 1 and phase 2.

Comment

Working...
          X