750 1100 convertion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

750 1100 convertion

I have read some place that an 1100 top end will bolt up to a 750 bottom end what I am wondering is first is this is true second if it is what parts would have to be swaped out just the heads or heads and cyilinders or the crank and rods. I have a 1980 gs750 and might be able to get a 1100 top end. macanics around here dont no anything about a bike more than 10 years old. thanks for any info.

Originally posted by Dutch Jager View Post
    I have read some place that an 1100 top end will bolt up to a 750 bottom end what I am wondering is first is this is true second if it is what parts would have to be swaped out just the heads or heads and cyilinders or the crank and rods. I have a 1980 gs750 and might be able to get a 1100 top end. macanics around here dont no anything about a bike more than 10 years old. thanks for any info.
    Swap the entire engine, it's fairly easy to do.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I dont think its true or els we would see a write up on here about it.

Comment

I dont think its true at all. For starters, the heads arent the same part number, as other model shared heads previously had been. Secondly, Why would you want to? The 750 from the 80-82 era had some issues, and a plain bearing crank. I agree with TKent, swap the entire motor out, the 1100 motor was a superior design, not just in displacement either.

Comment

that was my first thought but haveing a hard time finding an 1100 motor or one that wont cost me an arm and a leg top ends are all over the place for an ok price. thanks for the info saved me from buying parts I cant use.

Comment

Just wait and you will find a good deal. I was looking for a GS1000 motor all over and couldnt find anything for a few months. I kind of put the thought to the side for a while. And one morning on craiglist, found a whole bike for $125 a few months later.

Comment

thats my plan

Comment

I have LOTS of 1100 & 1150 motors! Ask Posplayer! Let me know if you want to buy one. I can sell you anything from bone stock to 1500cc & 275 horsepower. Ray.

Comment

I might be interested Im trying to do this project on a budget so I wouldnt want to wast your time but if you think you might have something, I would be interested. thanks for the info.

Comment

What were the issues with the 80 - 82 750s? I was looking at picking one up to use in my 550...if it fits.

Comment

Oil delivery issues. I cant say for certain what caused it, but I would guess either to small of ports, not enough, or poor mapping of such..

Comment

So what are the differences between the 80 - 82 GS750 engine and a 79 GS550 engine? Do they share the same lubrication issue and will the 750 fit the 550 frame? Also, is there a way to determine which parts, if any, interchange?

Comment

Working...
                        X