gs1100 630 to 530 chain conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100 630 to 530 chain conversion?

i will be receiving a gs1100e on saturday that i need to get running. one item on the long list of thing that need to be done is new chain and sprockets. it was suggested the change over to a 530 chain from the O.E.M. 630 chain. what are the pro's and con's of this mod?

i forgot to add i was told it is a 1980 gsx1100e/et. i see it for the first time this weekend, so i will update at that time.i did look for it online and found the gsx1100 is what the bike was call outside the U.S. but here it was the gs1100. we'll see

Comment

Originally posted by schlyme View Post
      i will be receiving a gs1100e on saturday that i need to get running. one item on the long list of thing that need to be done is new chain and sprockets. it was suggested the change over to a 530 chain from the O.E.M. 630 chain. what are the pro's and con's of this mod?
      I just was on the phone with Jeff from Z1 regarding this swap yesterday. I have swapped to 530 on my 750, but was hesitant in doing it on the 1100 because of the weird front sprocket design (I simply hadnt seen one like it before)

Pros: Weight savings. Chain alone saves you about a pound. This is less rotational mass for the motor to turn, thereby putting more HP to your rear wheel. A small amount, but more.

Cost. 530 XWring chain= $85.00 630 XWRing chain= $127.00

Availability. If you break a chain out on the road, you'll find a 530 at ANY dealer. Good luck finding a 630 when you're in the boonies. They'll look at you like you have two heads.

Wear. A properly maintained XWRing 530 chain will last longer by around an est 100% of its 630 type counterpart

Cons:

Tensile strength. The 530 is SLIGHTLY less strong than the 630. However, because your chain will last longer, it is suggested that it actually remains STRONGER longer. I dunno but thats the suggestion.

What you will need:
      (assuming your bike currently has the stock gearing of 15t front 42t rear sprockets, and the 630x96 chain)

you will need the following....

Front sprocket: 18t
      Rear sprocket: for standard gearing, or as close as possible, use a 49T or 50T rear sprocket. To drop your cruising RPM about 200RPM at 70ish mph, use a 48T rear sprocket. Yes, this will cost you SLIGHTLY at the line, but youre also putting more HP to the ground, so how much will it REALLY cost you? Not much.
      Chain: 114 Link 530 (I suggest XW Ring but Oring will work as well)
      You will also need a 6mm spacer between the countershaft sprocket and the shaft nut to make up for the plate it had stock and your master link. Most suggest the rivet type, however clip type is simply more practical, as you can replace it on the side of the road if necessary. I suggest, if you use a clip type link, a dap of super clue on the clip to bond it to the plate. Also, ThreadLock Blue is your best friend on the countershaft nut. Be liberal with it as well.

All this is available at Z1 for about $150.00 plus shipping.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-14-2008, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Search is a great feature

Comment

Make the conversion, you WON'T look back! Ray.

Comment

B.S. on the wear, 530 won't last any longer than 630.... be nice if the fancy suzuki drive sprocket was available in 530 cause it sure is alot quieter than the plain open ones.
            GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

was not sure if i had seen it on this sight or another, thanks though
              cafekid i had seen the z1 sight the same day i posted thanks and yah the 630 chains are hard to find. thanks all

Comment

ok so last night i finally got the conversion done. it is really strait forward n very easy, so long as you have the right tools .

Comment

I have an 82 gs1100e but its missing the case of the engine. Does anyone know if a 88 katana 1100 will bolt up to it? Or does anyone know where i can find a case for the gs? Thanks

Comment

WOW!! Welcome to the forum and all that, but do you realize that you just resurrected an eight-year-old thread (that had been resolved) by asking a question that has nothing to do with the topic of that thread?

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                      WOW!! Welcome to the forum and all that, but do you realize that you just resurrected an eight-year-old thread (that had been resolved) by asking a question that has nothing to do with the topic of that thread?
                      Sorry man im new to this. But i tried looking for anything on it and couldn't find anything.

Comment

Could you point me in the right direction please

Comment

Thread necromancer, and wrong grave!
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Bukwhet View Post
                            I have an 82 gs1100e but its missing the case of the engine. Does anyone know if a 88 katana 1100 will bolt up to it? Or does anyone know where i can find a case for the gs? Thanks
                            I'm sorry buddy, I'm not sure what cases you are looking for. The actual engine cases that house the crankshaft and transmission? Or the engine covers like clutch cover, stator cover... But anyway I don't think anything from a 88 Katana will mate with a 82 1100e.
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Bukwhet View Post
                              Could you point me in the right direction please
                              Go to "Forum" and scroll down to "Parts Wanted and for Sale."
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X