replacing velocity stack with pods???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing velocity stack with pods???

Let's just say the bike ((1100E)) I put a deposit down on and will hopefully, successfully be picking up on Sunday (fingers crossed), has velocity stacks in place. From everything I've read, velocity stacks are a no no for a daily commuter.

Do I simple replace with Pods? I've read here there is nearly no re-jetting if this happens? How simple is this and what are my other options?

You may have to rejet the carbs when adding pods due to them adding restriction to the intake system. Keep in mind that not all pods are created equal; K&N type for example flow more air than the cheap emgo pods. Ape sells some pods which seem to have positive features like the K&N’s, but without the nosebleed prices.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

What's the general consensus on stacks?
      Last edited by Guest; 10-22-2008, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Stacks let in small amounts of particles......should you ride with them on a daily driver? Probably not.....will it ruin your rings in a couple thousand miles.....No......will it shorten the life of your rings? Probably by a couple thousand miles......if you WANT to ride with them and you're a couple of thousand miles a year type of rider.....I wouldn't worry about it.

Originally posted by maro View Post

Comment

in my opinion...
          stacks on CV's are a waste of time.
          as far as tuning for stacks on mechanical carbs go...if you have alot of spare time,bored ect...go for it, learning something good,bad, or other wise is never a waste of time.
          i think they have a place on road racing bikes but i have never seen much of a differance(bennifits) on dragbikes.
          (maybe someone out there that has worked with a flow bench can chime in, im all ears)
          im sure someone will have a differant opinion but thats what makes the world go around.
          also, in my opinion once again..
          i would rather run a piece of window screen held on with duct tape than to run emgo trash, terrible terrible garbage!!
          if anyone thinks emgo's are ok and you just have to lean out the jetting, think again.
          you get what you pay for!
          there are some non-washable K&N look-a-likes out there(offset oval's) that work really well and are about half the price of K&N's..
          don at the PR factory store sells them, maybe these are the same that jay at APE sells also.

Comment

You might as well drop the bowls just to make sure everything is clean in there and take a peep at what size jets she's running too.
            1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
            1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
            1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
            1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
            01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I drove about 2.5k for this year on my 650G. Daily commuting. I would have never thought about this if the bike was not already coming with these installed.

Am I screwed in a rain storm with stacks. I wouldn't go out of my way to ride in the rain, but if I'm caught? How hard to replace with a standard arit box?

Comment

for that bike to run properly...
                it should have a dyno-jet st.3 kit installed.
                if this is true, buy a set of 2-1/4" offset ovals(K&N look-a-likes from who you chose and life will be good.
                dont worry about things that hasnt happened yet...like rain, a little rain sucked into the intake tracts will just remove some of that stubborn carbon in the combustion chambers.(smile)

Comment

SO it looks like my new 82 gs1100E has 29mm smoothbores installed...with the velocity stacks. Rather than fitting a stocking over them while I drive (in philly where the air ain't clean), I want to just get some pods...for the time being.

I know APE and K&N were mentioned. Doesn't look like APE http://gszone.biz/carbs.html has them for 29mm. Or am I reading this wrong.

Does anyone here have 29mm carbs with pods?

Comment

Stacks work best for people like us that make our living doing valve jobs

Jay
                    Speed Merchant
                    http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

29 smoothbores should make your tuning a whole lot easier compared to messing with CVs.

Plus don't automatically assume that swapping from velocity stacks (= bellmouths over here) to pod filters will make your mixture richer. If the bellmouths have been designed properly they act as a temporary repository for fuel/air mixture 'kicked' back out of the motor when the inlet valves shut. Good air filters should have a bellmouth design built in and should therefore do the same thing (+/-) but some filters have nothing in there apart from the filter. If you decide to swap to filters I'd be inclined to run as is and do plug chops to smooth out your mixture.

On the subject of running with just bellmouths - as mentioned above it depends how many miles you're doing + how 'dusty' it is where you ride. As an example, my mate's BSA A10 from 1957 has done at least 60K miles, has always run open bellmouths and is still on standard bore. (Yeah, I know it's a lower revving, less refined motor etc but it is still good inside those pots despite having the odd insect etc sucked in from time to time).
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

SO it looks like my new 82 gs1100E has 29mm smoothbores installed...with the velocity stacks. Rather than fitting a stocking over them while I drive (in philly where the air ain't clean), I want to just get some pods...for the time being.

Does anyone here have 29mm carbs with pods?
                        I do. And if your stacks are in great shape, I might be interested in trading if you are. I have a nice set of K&N's that will fit right on.
                        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Maro, you PM box is full....
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

WOW,
                            im really confused.
                            29's on a 1100 16v. engine??????
                            all i can say is WOW.
                            did i mention that im really confused
                            i would love to see a picture of this set-up.
                            this is the 1st ive ever heard of this combo before
                            special little tiny boots so that the 29's fit the head.
                            pay no attenion to me, im confused

Comment

No way that has 29smoothies on it. maybe 33s but thats still a tad small...Sure you dont have flatslides or slingshots on it? Must be some crazy set up. And tuning, IMO is not easier as you have multiple screws to mess with in adjustment. Plus, smoothies, of any size, tend to be notoriously "twitchy" carbs. Not the best "street" carbs for sure. Id say find yourself some BS34s or even 36s if you're planning mods...Just my opinion however...

Comment

Working...
                              X