No announcement yet.

gs 1000 overbore kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And you guys are no help!!! You are supposed to say " No, don't do a big bore kit--they are not worth the money--save your cash for your childs schooling, heat your home, blah blah blah"
    In reality I just sold my Honda FL350--for about what this engine kit is going to cost

Comment

Originally posted by dardoonk View Post
      I do not want to spend a ton of money porting the head or oversize valves though.
      More usable power there than from an overpriced big bore kit & even if you do go with the over bore you will never get the full potential from it without the above so thats more money wasted imo

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
        More usable power there than from an overpriced big bore kit & even if you do go with the over bore you will never get the full potential from it without the above so thats more money wasted imo
        Well, I'm not sure what it would cost for the head work that I was thinking of, but I saw this on APE website:
        HW-40 Port and valve job 8-valve = $850.00
        Plus, I still need O/S valves in addition to the rebuild parts I would need on just fixing up a stock head.
        Cripes sake, $850?? If it was $200 bucks, I'd understand what you mean
        , but I'd have $1200 in the head before I was done buying o/s valves & shipping it back & forth

I think I'd rather add the CC's for half the mone
        y, get an 1100 head, clean her up, lap the stock valves, and drop a few bucks on hd springs & a cam.
        I thought these 2V motors had plenty more airflow than they needed. Is that wrong? Aren't there plenty of guys running BB kits with pretty much stock heads?

Comment

Something got lost in the translation there fella

the last BB kit i was involved in cost £300 for pistons & rings £100 for the actual rebore £110 for a full gasket set & about £50 for sundries

where as the last flow job i did was £250 for the head work, £32 for the gaskets & the same £50 for sundries

i'll let you do the conversions lol but i will say i much prefered the engine with the head work, more crisp power delivery & just as powerfull untill the very top of the rev range

Ya pays your money & takes your choice i suppose

Comment

There is an 1100 kit available, but it exceeds our preferences for cylinder wall thickness. That is why we don't list it. We like this stuff to be hassle free.

As for the gentleman saying he would need oversize valves, not with a 1085.

Jay
            Speed Merchant
            http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
              There is an 1100 kit available, but it exceeds our preferences for cylinder wall thickness. That is why we don't list it. We like this stuff to be hassle free.

As for the gentleman saying he would need oversize valves, not with a 1085.

Jay
              i agree with your opinion on going out to 1100cc re wall thickness of the cylinders big jay but will point out that i never said he would NEED oversized valves its just what ive done in the past & this along with a flow job from RU gave very good results

horses for courses & all that eh

Comment

big jay, how much for overbore with cams and valve job?

Comment

tone, okay, I thought you were taking an either/or type position on the head work vs a BB kit. As I understood what you were saying, was that I was better off to spend the money on head work rather than do the BB conversion. I agree that additional head work would produce better results, but I think I'd go for the BB kit & cams first & could always go for head work later.

Comment

Has anyone here ever resleeved their cylinders to the stock spec?

Comment

I just had Jay's company do a bunch of work for me, bore out my cylinders for my yosh 1085 kit, surface the cylinder (which most will need since those fiber head gaskets make a mess) and under cut my tranny. He did a nice job and his prices were reasonable.

His prices are on his web site.

Now I just need to bolt it all back together.

You don't need to port your head or go bigger valves unless you are looking for a race motor, A 1085 kit will freshen up any motor, and to be safe, replace the valve seals and clean up the carbon while you are in the motor. This will give you a very nice street motor.
                      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x
                      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by stain View Post
                        big jay, how much for overbore with cams and valve job?
                        Can you e-mail me at jay@aperaceparts.com and give me more info.

Jay
                        Speed Merchant
                        http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Working...
                        X